Reading time: 3 minutes

As an employer, you have legal obligations when you terminate an employee. For example, if you are an employer terminating an employee, you must complete an employment separation certificate upon request. Indeed, it is important that as an employer you take such obligations seriously to avoid issues in the future. Therefore, this article will explain what this certificate is for employers who have terminated an employee, to help you understand and navigate this obligation.

What Is an Employment Separation Certificate?

An employment separation certificate is a form that Services Australia issues. Indeed, it is up to you as the employer to complete the Services Australia form within 14 days after a request. This certificate provides relevant employment information for the terminated employee. Furthermore, a completed certificate enables Centrelink to assess and pay income support payments to eligible recipients. 

An employment separation certificate includes:

  • the terminated employee and employer details;
  • employment details;
  • the reason for separation from the company;
  • the terminated employee’s final gross payment;
  • any unused leave payments; and
  • redundancy payments.

Employment Essentials Factsheet

As an employer, understand your essential employment obligations with this free LegalVision factsheet.

Download Now

Do Employers Have to Provide an Employment Separation Certificate?

Employers do not need to provide an employment separation certificate for every employee termination. However, if Services Australia, Centrelink or a terminated employee request one, you must provide it. Furthermore, you must complete and sign the Services Australia form within 14 days of receiving the request. Services Australia may also ask for this form if your employee decreases their work hours or changes their employment status from full time to casual. 

Employers can complete and submit employment separation certificates using Services Australia online portal Business Hub.

Key Takeaways

Centrelink will use an employment separation certificates to assess the eligibility of income support payment claims. An employer must provide an employment separation certificate if Centrelink requests.

Therefore, if you need help with employment matters, our experienced employment lawyers can assist as part of our LegalVision membership. For a low monthly fee, you will have unlimited access to lawyers to answer your questions and draft and review your documents. Call us today on 1300 544 755 or visit our membership page.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an employment separation certificate?

This is a document completed by an employer that provides the critical employment details of a terminated employee. It includes information about the employment period, the reason for separation, average weekly wages and any final payments. It is used by Centrelink to assess a former employee’s claim for income support payments.

Are employers required to provide an employment separation certificate?

Employers must provide an Employment Separation Certificate when they are requested for one by Services Australia, Centrelink or a former employee. The employer must return the completed and signed form within 14 days of the request.


COVID-19 Vaccines In The Workplace

Thursday 10 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Can you compel employees to have a COVID-19 vaccine? Understand your rights and responsibilities as an employer. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Preventing Wage Underpayment In Your Franchise

Wednesday 16 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to identify and prevent wage underpayment in your franchise. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Prevent and Manage Commercial Contract Disputes

Thursday 24 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to prevent and manage common commercial contract disputes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer