Wine connoisseurs are likely familiar with the Latin phrase ‘in vino, veritas’, meaning ‘in wine, truth’. While wine is believed to have first appeared in human civilisation around 7000 years ago, we’re moving towards more modern distribution channels, including online. In the interest of providing truth to wine sellers, we discuss liquor licensing requirements below and what permits you will require if you sell wine on the Internet.

Liquor Licence

Australia’s liquor licencing regime is designed to ensure that wine and other alcoholic products are available to adult members of the community in a manner that does not negatively affect public health and safety. Of particular concern to regulators is that alcohol is not sold to minors or in an unsafe and irresponsible way.

Anyone who sells wine in Australia must have a licence, including online retailers. Although online wine retailers do not have a physical store for customers, the public health and safety issues for which governments issue permits remains relevant. For example, online wine retailers are required to notify customers on their website that they cannot supply wine to anyone under 18.

Online wine retailers must abide by all terms of their licence. The application procedure is identical to retailers with a physical business address and store. For example, applicants who want to sell online must still be eligible and prove their good character.

Liquor licensing in Australia is not nationally regulated. Rather, state and territory governments determine what licences online retailers require, prescribe the attached conditions and the application procedure.

That means that anyone wanting to sell wine online will need to obtain a state or territory liquor licence prompting additional questions such as, “if I sell wine nationally, in which state am I required to apply for and hold a licence?” and “do I need one in each state and territory?”

Determining the Correct Jurisdiction for Your Liquor Licence

If you want to sell wine online, chances are you will want to structure your business as a company. As a company, you must abide by the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) regulate this Act.

Under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), all companies must inform ASIC of the following:

  • Address of their registered office and principal place of business;
  • Residential address of each officeholder;
  • Address of each member, if it is a proprietary company; and
  • Contact address if the company has one.

The registered address and principal place of business for your company determines the state or territory in which you should apply for your liquor licence. So, a company registered in Sydney will request a licence in the state of NSW. Similarly, if your principal place of business is Perth, you will apply for a liquor licence in Western Australia.

For example, the contact address for the successful wine delivery startup Vino MoFo is in Victoria. Their permit to sell wine is Victorian. Also, their website provides the statutorily mandated warnings about not serving alcohol to minors under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic). Likewise, Cellarmaster’s website notes that the business delivers wine straight from the Barossa Valley, South Australia. Their licence is South Australian and their warning about selling to minors governed by the Liquor Licensing Act 1997 (SA).

Key Takeaways

This information means that if you want to trade as an online wine retailer, the first question that you have to answer is where you want to locate your principal place of business. For example, if you like warm weather and would like to set up your business in Queensland, you will need to apply for a liquor licence with the Office of Liquor and Gaming in that state.

If you require further information about which liquor licence you need and how to obtain it, the websites for the relevant state and territory government departments are a great starting point. However, if you are reaching the stage of opening your online wine cellar, you should speak with a qualified professional. Get in touch with our liquor licensing lawyers if you have any questions or need help with setting up your business.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Carole Hemingway
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy