Reading time: 3 minutes

Right of Entry is a provision under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), which gives employee organisations the right to enter your workplace under different circumstances. Some of these circumstances include the ability to have discussions with members, represent members and investigate contraventions of relevant laws. An employee organisation, for example, can be a trade union. As an employer, it’s helpful to know your rights and responsibilities when dealing with the right of entry.

Who can enter my workplace?

An organisation official can enter your workplace if they have a valid permit from the Fair Work Commission (“the Commission”). The Commission only issues permits if they decide the official is fit and proper, has appropriate training and understands their role as a permit holder. Fair Work Inspectors can also enter your workplace to make sure you are complying with workplace laws.

What can they do?

An organisation official can investigate possible contraventions of workplace laws where they have reasonable grounds to believe they are occurring. They can only do this if it affects at least one member of their organisation, they are entitled to represent that member and the member works in your workplace.

You should receive an entry notice at least 24 hours but not more than 14 days before they can come to inspect the premises. The official can inspect any work, processes and interview any person about the issue if they agree. They can also request to inspect and make copies of records that are directly relevant to the issue.

The Entry Permit can also permit an official into your workplace to have discussions with employees who they are entitled to represent, work at your workplace and wish to participate. They must provide the same amount of notice as above and can only hold meetings during mealtimes or other breaks.

What can’t they do?

Officials with permits cannot intentionally hinder any person or act inappropriately when going about their business. They also cannot misrepresent who they are or give the impression they can do things they are not allowed to do.

What can I do as an employer?

You can refuse entry to an official if they do not provide their permit documents if you request them or if they don’t reasonably comply with your workplace OH&S policies or unreasonably refuse to take a particular route to reach an area. You also don’t need to provide access to documents or records if it would break any State or Territory laws.

As an employer, you can’t refuse or delay their entry into the workplace or refuse or fail to comply with their request to produce relevant records. You can’t intentionally prevent them from exercising their rights and you can’t give the impression you are authorised to do things you are not.

If you believe the Permit holder has violated their right of entry, you can apply to the Fair Work Commission for help. They can then suspend, cancel or impose conditions on the Entry Permit. There are also penalties that can apply if the right of entry laws are abused.


If you have any questions about your rights and obligations as an employer concerning the Right of Entry, please get in touch with one of LegalVision’s experienced employment lawyers on 1300 544 755.


COVID-19 Vaccines In The Workplace

Thursday 10 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Can you compel employees to have a COVID-19 vaccine? Understand your rights and responsibilities as an employer. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Preventing Wage Underpayment In Your Franchise

Wednesday 16 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to identify and prevent wage underpayment in your franchise. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Prevent and Manage Commercial Contract Disputes

Thursday 24 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to prevent and manage common commercial contract disputes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer