Reading time: 3 minutes

Are you looking to open a pub or bar in NSW? If you want to serve alcohol in NSW in this setting, then you are required to have a liquor licence. Below, we set out four frequently asked questions you may have if you are looking to apply for a liquor licence.

1. Are There Different Types of Liquor Licences?

Yes, there are! In NSW, there are seven types of liquor licences. The first step in applying for a liquor licence is determining which type of licence you require. These include:

  • Hotel licence
  • Club licence
  • On-premises licence
  • Small bar licence
  • Packaged liquor licence
  • Producer/wholesaler licence
  • Limited licence

So make sure that before you begin your application, you have decided what type of business you want to establish so that you can apply for the appropriate licence.

2. How Do I Apply for a Liquor Licence?

After you have decided which licence applies to your business, you can begin your application process. The first step is to visit the NSW Liquor & Gaming website to lodge your application. This whole process can be carried out online.

Most of the application forms are generally 20 pages long and you should take care to ensure you fill it out accurately. Any mistakes can result in NSW Liquor & Gambling denying your application and you will need to resubmit.

The application process can be quite lengthy and complicated. In short, after you submit your application, it is advertised for a specific period allowing for residents, police and local council to make submissions to the NSW Liquor & Gambling. They will then, taking into account various considerations, grant or refuse the application.

3. How Much Does an Application Cost?

The fees and charges associated with a liquor licence application vary according to the type of licence you require. There are also annual fees related to maintaining your liquor licence.

4. What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Liquor Licence?

Other than the application form, a range of other documents may be required to accompany the licence application. Such documents include:

  • a National Police Certificate (except where the licence is a limited licence and where the applicant is a corporation) which is used to determine the suitability of the applicant to hold a liquor licence;
  • Community Impact Statement (CIS)may also be required to accompany the application, depending on the type of licence. A CIS is used to give local community members a chance to have their say and estimate the level of community support for the licence proposal.

Key Takeaways

When deciding which liquor licence may apply to your business and your obligations it is a good idea to seek legal advice. LegalVision can also assist you with making sure you comply with your other obligations involved with running a business in NSW.

Questions about applying for a liquor licence in NSW or how to meet your other legal obligations? Let our liquor licencing lawyers know!


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards