It can be confusing to understand what are your rights as a grandparent when you have a disagreement with the parents about when you can see your grandchildren. You might be thinking that the parents have all of the say when it comes to granting you access to your grandchildren but, in fact, you do have your own rights under the Family Law Act.


Going to court is often stressful and expensive for everyone involved. Before considering going to court, try and work out your disagreements with the parents in an amicable and non-adversarial way. Try speaking with them in a comfortable and informal environment first and see if you can work anything out that way. If that doesn’t help, you could always write a letter and explain your feelings in a clear and concise way. If you are still having difficulties then you could consider trying family counselling, mediation or conciliation. With these alternatives, an independent person can help you explore solutions together in a collaborative way so everyone feels they are heard and understood. After exhausting these avenues, court may be the likely next step to resolve your issues.

Going to Court

The Family Court can make orders for your grandchildren to spend time with people other than their parents. The Court considers grandparents as people who are often significant to the welfare of the child and so you do have the ability to apply to the Court to spend time with them, even if the parents refuse to let you.

As a grandparent, you can apply to the Court to spend time with your grandchildren. The Court’s overarching consideration is what is in child’s best interests.  If your grandchild is old enough to express their views, the Court will also consider what they want and their feelings about wanting to spend time with you. They will also have to consider if there is any conflict between you and the parents and how that will affect the children. The Court makes orders for grandparents to see their grandchildren, depending on individual circumstances, but it is usually less than the time granted for the parents to spend time with their children.

You also have the option to apply to obtain parental responsibility for your grandchildren and ask for them to come and live with you. This type of application is generally made only when the parents are either unwilling or unable to take care of the children. Examples include where family violence or drug addictions are an issue.


So how can you convince the Court to let you see your grandchildren? You will need to provide the Court with information on how much time you have spent with your grandchildren in the past and your relationship with them and what kind of things you generally do together. The Court will then make a determination after considering the views of the parents as well.

Please note that LegalVision is a commercial law firm and cannot assist with these matters.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy