Reading time: 4 minutes

Relations between a retail shop tenant and their landlord don’t always go smoothly. Disputes can arise over many issues, including how the shop is used or who is responsible for repairs. In Queensland, the Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (Qld) (the Act) sets out a process for resolving retail lease disputes.

Unfortunately, retail lease disputes are not always clear-cut. It’s important to refer to both the terms of the lease and how the Act requires disputes to be resolved. This article explains how to work through the resolution process for retail lease disputes in Queensland. 

Ensure that the Act Covers Your Lease

Before starting the dispute resolution process, you need to consider whether the Act covers your lease. The Act only covers retail leases, not commercial leases. To determine if the Act covers your lease, you need to answer two questions:

  1. Is the premises a retail shop?
  2. Do exceptions apply?

Is the Premises a Retail Shop?

In QLD, a retail shop is one that predominately carries on a retail business — one that sells goods. For example, the Act would not cover professional offices that only have a small retail component taking up part of the floor area.

Do Exceptions Apply?

The Act lists exceptions that are not retail shop leases. For example, a shop with a floor area greater than 1000m2, or a shop in an arts and craft market. There are many such exceptions, so the tenant should ensure that their lease does not fall into any one of them. If an exception applies, then the lease is a commercial lease which the Act does not cover. 


The Act first asks that retail lease disputes go to mediation. Mediation is a discussion facilitated by an impartial mediator. Unlike court proceedings, it aims to come to a resolution that both parties agree to. To start mediation, a dispute notice (Form 4 – Notice of Dispute) must be lodged with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT). QCAT will nominate a mediator and give both the landlord and tenant a date for the mediation. You do not have to attend the mediation. However, mediation may let you resolve the dispute faster and at a lower cost than other methods.

It is usual for each party to conduct their own case at a mediation. If you want to be represented by a lawyer, you must first gain the mediator’s approval. The mediator will approve representation in cases where the party is a corporation or the mediator believes an agent should be allowed.

The mediation must be held in private. If you do reach a resolution, the mediator will write an agreement. Both parties will then sign this agreement.  

Referral to QCAT

If the mediation does not resolve the dispute, the mediator may refer it to QCAT. Alternatively, you may also apply to QCAT if the other party failed to comply with a mediation agreement. 

At the hearing, QCAT will listen to each side’s claims and make an order. For example, to pay financial damages. You can call witnesses if necessary. You will need to pay your own costs to attend the hearing. However, QCAT may order one party to pay all or part of the other party’s costs if it is in the interests of justice.

If the dispute remains unresolved after the QCAT hearing, you may be able to appeal the decision.

Key Takeaways

Queensland legislation sets out a specific process for resolving retail lease disputes. First, the tenant and landlord should go to mediation, which may produce an agreement to resolve the dispute. If that doesn’t work, the dispute may be referred to QCAT. However, if a dispute gets to this stage, it’s worth getting legal advice to determine the strength of your claims. If you need assistance to resolve a retail lease dispute, call LegalVision’s leasing lawyers on 1300 544 755 or fill out the form on this page.


How Franchisors Can Avoid Misleading and Deceptive Conduct

Wednesday 18 May | 11:00 - 11:45am

Ensure your franchise is not accused of misleading and deceptive conduct. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

New Kid on the Blockchain: Understanding the Proposed Laws for Crypto, NFT and Blockchain Projects

Wednesday 25 May | 10:00 - 10:45am

If you operate in the crypto space, ensure you understand the Federal Government’s proposed licensing and regulation changes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Expand Your Business Into a Franchise

Thursday 26 May | 11:00 - 11:45am

Drive rapid growth in your business by turning it into a franchise. To learn how, join our free webinar. Register today.
Register Now

Day in Court: What Happens When Your Business Goes to Court

Thursday 2 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

If your business is going to court, then you need to understand the process. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Manage a Construction Dispute

Thursday 9 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Protect your construction firm from disputes. To understand how, join our free webinar.
Register Now

Startup Financing: Venture Debt 101

Thursday 23 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how venture debt can help take your startup to the next level. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer