Reading time: 3 minutes

We have previously set out the importance of responding promptly and appropriately if your company has been served with a statutory demand. Once a statutory demand has been validly served on a debtor company, the time is ticking to respond. A company has 21 days from the date the statutory demand is served to apply to set it aside or to pay the debt in full.

It is common for companies to argue they have an offsetting claim which would either reduce (or in some instances, extinguish) the amount the creditor is claiming in the statutory demand.

What Does the Legislation Say?

The Corporations Act defines offsetting claims in section 459H(5). An offsetting claim comes about when one party is issued with a statutory demand by another party but has a genuine claim against the issuer of the demand by way of counterclaim, set-off or cross demand.

For a valid offsetting claim, there needs to be ‘mutuality’ between the offsetting claim and the statutory demands, which could be mutual credits, debts or other dealings between the two entities.

How Does an Offsetting Claim Work?

Consider you are a tenant corporation who receives a statutory demand from the landlord for unpaid rent of $40,000. Both the rent and the amount of the rent is not in dispute. The money is due and owing. You do however believe there is an offsetting claim relating to items that the landlord should have maintained at the leased property. What do you do?

The first step is to obtain legal advice immediately as time is of the essence and there is a strict timeframe to respond or deal with the statutory demand. If your lawyer agrees you have an offsetting claim, then at first instance this will be raised in urgent correspondence with the creditor or their solicitor. It may be that the other side will agree to set aside the statutory demand. If they don’t, then you need to make an urgent application to the court. Affidavit evidence will also accompany your application.

What Does the Court Consider?

Some questions that the Court will ask when deciding whether to allow an offset include:

  • Is it bona fide, real and not false? (Edge Technology Pty Ltd v Lite-On Technology Corporation [2002] NSWSC 471)
  • Is the claim fanciful?
  • Do the facts show the existence of the debt (the offsetting claim) or is the offsetting claim hypothetical?
  • Is the offsetting claim being raised in good faith?

Once the Court has weighed this up, they will make a decision as to whether you are entitled to set the statutory demand aside or vary the statutory demand.

On occasions, the creditor will try to show that a ‘special arrangement’ existed between the parties showing that there was a clear intention that the debt (referred to in the statutory demand) would not be varied or reduced. The court will also consider this as evidence.

Key Takeaways

Whether a party can vary or challenge a statutory demand depends on the specific facts of each case. It’s important that when served with a statutory demand that your party seeks legal advice immediately. The timeframe to comply is short and failure to do so can result in the company deemed insolvent and being wound up. If you’d like to speak with a lawyer about your options regarding offsetting a statutory demand, get in touch with us on 1300 544 755.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards