If you are a tenant entering into a commercial or retail lease, you should understand not only your obligations and responsibilities, but also the landlord’s. We set these obligations out below.

Is The Lease a Retail Lease?

The landlord will have additional responsibilities under a retail lease. State-based legislation governs retail leases, which while similar in their objective to protect tenants, contain slight differences. For example, the Retail Leases Act 1994 (NSW) protects retail leases in NSW whereas, in Victoria, tenants fall under the Retail Leases Act 2003 (VIC). The landlord has a responsibility to provide tenants with a disclosure statement before signing the lease (usually at least seven days).

Depending on which state the premises is located, the landlord may also have the responsibility to provide tenants with other documents. For instance, the NSW Retail Tenant’s Guide (for NSW) or the Victorian Small Business Commissioner’s Information Brochure (for VIC).

Tenants do not have to sign the lease until they receive these documents. If a tenant has not yet received these documents, they should ask their landlord.

Landlord to Prepare Lease

The landlord or the landlord’s solicitor is usually responsible for drafting and issuing the lease to the tenant, including:

  • any relevant cover page (such as the LPI cover sheet for NSW), and
  • the lease annexure, or
  • terms of the lease.

Once a tenant receives the lease from the landlord, it’s sensible to seek independent legal advice to ensure there are no onerous or unfair provisions, for example:

  • unreasonable make good provisions;
  • liquidated damages on breach of the lease; or
  • providing an excessive security deposit.
The landlord as the party who prepares the lease if usually responsible for:
  • making any amendments the tenant requests;
  • ensuring the tenant signs the lease correctly.

The tenant must return any other relevant documents to the landlord such as bank guarantee and insurance certificate of currency. In some cases, parties may prepare a heads of agreement (HOA) before the lease.

Either the landlord or commercial property agent for the premises can prepare the HOA, who will advise the landlord or their solicitor once the HOA is signed. If tenants are purchasing a business from a vendor, the existing tenant will assign the lease. You will then require the relevant transfer of lease forms and a deed of consent to assign the lease.

Landlord to Pay Own Preparation Costs

Landlords and tenants are responsible for paying their own costs to prepare the lease. For commercial (non-retail) leases, however, note that the landlord has the right to require tenants to cover its cost as well. In South Australia, parties share the costs for retail leases.

Landlord to Register

Where relevant, the landlord is responsible for registering the lease and tenants should ensure this is stated in the lease. Although the landlord may be responsible for lodging the documents, the tenant remains responsible for the registration fees and in some cases, mortgagee consent fees.

Registration differs from state to state, for example, landlords are not required to register a lease in Victoria. Other states, however, will protect short-term leases – anything longer should be registered. Tenants should receive a copy of the lease once registered for their records.

Key Takeaways

If you are a potential tenant considering entering a commercial lease, you should keep in mind the following key points:

  1. Check to see if the lease is covered by the retail lease legislation in your relevant state;
  2. If you are a retail lease tenant, you should request the disclosure statement and any other documents the landlord has the obligation to provide to you prior to signing the lease;
  3. The landlord will be responsible for preparing the lease and other relevant documentation;
  4. The landlord is responsible for making any agreed amendments to the lease;
  5. If you are a retail lease tenant, consider who has the liability for the landlord’s costs;
  6. The landlord should register the lease, if applicable (but note the tenant must pay the registration fee).


If you have any questions about the leasing process or need assistance reviewing your lease, get in touch with LegalVision’s commercial leasing lawyers on 1300 544 755.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Lianne Tan
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy