Reading time: 3 minutes

Interested in owning a business like a bottle shop, nightclub, bar or restaurant in the ACT? If you answered yes, then your business will most likely need a liquor licence. Not quite sure what the process is for applying? We run you through the steps you’ll need to complete to get your business up and running.

What Liquor Licence Should I Apply For?

The ACT has five main licences that will allow you to sell alcohol in an open container for consumption on your business or in closed containers for consumption away from your business. These licence types are as follows:

  • General licence
  • On licence
  • Club licence
  • Off-licence, and
  • Special licence.

Some of these licences have sub-classes that you will also need to consider when determining which licence to apply for. For example, the On licence allows a licensee to sell liquor on their premises and has sub-classes that apply to nightclubs, bars, restaurants and cafes. The cost of each application will vary depending on the licence you have applied for.

How do I Apply for a Licence?

Access Canberra is the platform you’ll need to submit your application once you’ve decided what class of liquor licence best suits your business. This will involve submitting the application fee and completing the application form.

What Will I Need to Include in my Application?

You will be required to submit suitability information and a recent National Police Check for the key people involved in your business. This aims to ensure that liquor licences are only granted to applicants who will comply with all requirements of the licence, such as the Responsible Service of Alcohol.

Key people you will need to provide information on include the applicant and any investors/directors or other person with significant influence on the business. You will also need to provide information about staff who have the power to make business decisions in the absence of the licensee. If you’re applying on behalf of a corporation, then you will need to provide the same information for executives and anyone who has the power to appoint an executive.

Liquor Licence for a New Premises

You’re required to give the public 30 days notice of your application including displaying a sign at the premises and publishing notice on the ACT Open Government website. The community can then make submissions that you’ll have the opportunity to address later in the process.

What is a Risk Assessment Management Plan?

These plans are an important part of your application for a liquor licence. The plan will allow you to demonstrate what measures you will have in place to ensure minimal disturbance to the community and maximise occupancy safety. The plan should include information on how you intend to provide adequate security, fire safety, noise compliance and serve alcohol responsibly.

Is That Everything?

Not quite, you’ll also need to ensure that you, your close associates and your staff have all completed a recognised Responsible Service of Alcohol training program within the last three years – this is an ongoing requirement.

Liquor licencing is a heavily regulated area in which to operate a business and there may be several other compliance requirements that are relevant to your liquor licence. If you have any questions or need assistance with your liquor licence application, let us know. 


New Kid on the Blockchain: Understanding the Proposed Laws for Crypto, NFT and Blockchain Projects

Wednesday 25 May | 10:00 - 10:45am

If you operate in the crypto space, ensure you understand the Federal Government’s proposed licensing and regulation changes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Expand Your Business Into a Franchise

Thursday 26 May | 11:00 - 11:45am

Drive rapid growth in your business by turning it into a franchise. To learn how, join our free webinar. Register today.
Register Now

Day in Court: What Happens When Your Business Goes to Court

Thursday 2 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

If your business is going to court, then you need to understand the process. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Manage a Construction Dispute

Thursday 9 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Protect your construction firm from disputes. To understand how, join our free webinar.
Register Now

Startup Financing: Venture Debt 101

Thursday 23 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how venture debt can help take your startup to the next level. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer