Reading time: 3 minutes

Have you provided goods or services to someone in Tasmania? Is money still owing to you? If yes, you can enforce a payment by issuing a Letter of Demand or through the Minor Civil Claims Division of the Magistrates Court in Tasmania, located in Hobart. This article looks at how you can enforce a payment in Tasmania by issuing a Letter of Demand.

How to Enforce a Payment through a Letter of Demand

Before contemplating issuing a Letter of Demand or recovering your debt through complex and costly litigation, you should send first and second reminder letters. This can also assist in preserving your business relationship. If, however, this is unsuccessful in recovering your debt, you will more than likely send the debtor a Letter of Demand. This will outline the following:

  • Details about the outstanding money owed,
  • The date in which the debtor needs to pay the amount, and
  • What you intend to do if the debtor does not pay the debt by the specified date.

A well-drafted Letter of Demand and the possibility of taking legal action against the debtor can sometimes be sufficient in encouraging them to make payment. A solicitor can help you prepare a Letter of Demand that, importantly, does not harass or intimidate the debtor as this is illegal. If the debtor disputes the debt or ignores the Letter of Demand, you may need to take further action through the Magistrates Court. You should have a copy of the Letter to show the court of your attempt to settle the matter before pursuing legal action.

What Next?

Once you have sent a Letter of Demand, the debtor may respond by: 

  • Admitting the debt and paying the outstanding amount;
  • Negotiating with you for a payment plan;
  • Ignoring the letter; or
  • Disputing the debt’s existence, or the amount owed. 

If the debtor disputes the debt, it is then up to you to consider how you will proceed. You have the option of commencing legal action through the Magistrates Court, or you can write the debt off. You can weigh up the debt amount against the costs of litigation to decide whether it is worth pursuing.  For example, if the debt is $1,500 or less, it may not be worth pursuing this through the court process.

Debt Recovery Action

Which Court hears the debt recovery claim depends on the amount owed.

  • The Minor Civil Claims Division of the Magistrates Court in Tasmania hears claims between $2,000 to $5,000,
  • The General Divison hears claims between $5,001 to $50,000,
  •  The Supreme Court of Tasmania hears claims exceeding $50,000.
  • Conclusion

Should you have any questions about how you can enforce a payment in Tasmania, LegalVision has a team of great litigation and dispute resolution lawyers who can assist you. Please get in touch with us on 1300 544 755. In the meantime, you can keep reading about how you can enforce a payment through the Minor Civil Claims Division in Tasmania’s Magistrates Court.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards