Reading time: 3 minutes

In an earlier article, we explained how you can enforce a payment by issuing a Letter of Demand. Unfortunately, this is not always successful in recovering money owed and you may choose to pursue the matter in the Magistrates Court of Tasmania. We will look at the process involved in making a minor claim and how you can enforce a payment through litigation.

Minor Claim Form

You will first need to fill in a minor claim form that you can collect from the Magistrates Court or you can download from the website. You must lodge three copies of the claim:

  • A copy for yourself
  • A copy to ‘serve’ the defendant with, and
  • A copy to file and lodge. If you serve the Defendant personally, you will file and lodge an Affidavit of Service with a copy of the claim.

The Court will stamp all three copies and keep the original.

What is Service?

Service is where you provide the Defendant with a copy of the claim that is then taken as notice. You can serve the Defendant by: 

  • Delivering the claim personally to the Defendant, 
  • Arranging a process server to deliver the claim, or 
  • The Court can arrange for service on your behalf. 

If you serve the Defendant personally, you will need to file an Affidavit of Service to provide evidence that the Defendant received the claim. You must also serve the Defendant as soon as practicable and within one year of lodging the minor claim form. A request can be made to the Court for an extension of time.

What can the Defendant do?

The Defendant has 21 days to respond to the claim from the date of service, during which time he or she can:

  • Pay the amount demanded,
  • Settle the matter by arranging a payment plan/alternative arrangement, or
  • File a defence.

You will receive a copy of the defence if it is filed within 21 days of receiving notice of the claim. The Court will then set a date for a directions hearing. If the Defendant fails to respond to the claim, you may apply to the Court for a default judgment in your favour.

Settling the Matter Before the Hearing

Even after the hearing date is listed, you can still settle the matter directly with the Defendant. If you settle the matter, you need to write to the Registrar that you wish to withdraw your claim. You could also apply to the Court to make a Consent Order to enforce the terms of settlement.

Settling the Matter at the Hearing

At the directions hearing, the Magistrate will ask you both questions about the situation, and try to reach an agreement between the parties. The Magistrate will set a date for a hearing or mediation if parties cannot reach an agreement, and make orders following the presentation of each parties case. 


It is important to work towards settling matters outside of Court and through comparatively informal channels, like issuing a Letter of Demand. If, however, these continue to prove unsuccessful in recovering money owed, you should take steps to familiarise yourself with the process to file a Minor Civil Claim. LegalVision’s experienced team of litigation and dispute resolution lawyers are delighted to answer any of your questions. If you require assistance to enforce a payment in Tasmania, please get in touch with us on 1300 544 755.


How Franchisors Can Avoid Misleading and Deceptive Conduct

Wednesday 18 May | 11:00 - 11:45am

Ensure your franchise is not accused of misleading and deceptive conduct. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

New Kid on the Blockchain: Understanding the Proposed Laws for Crypto, NFT and Blockchain Projects

Wednesday 25 May | 10:00 - 10:45am

If you operate in the crypto space, ensure you understand the Federal Government’s proposed licensing and regulation changes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Expand Your Business Into a Franchise

Thursday 26 May | 11:00 - 11:45am

Drive rapid growth in your business by turning it into a franchise. To learn how, join our free webinar. Register today.
Register Now

Day in Court: What Happens When Your Business Goes to Court

Thursday 2 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

If your business is going to court, then you need to understand the process. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Manage a Construction Dispute

Thursday 9 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Protect your construction firm from disputes. To understand how, join our free webinar.
Register Now

Startup Financing: Venture Debt 101

Thursday 23 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how venture debt can help take your startup to the next level. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer