Does someone owe you money in Queensland? Are you seeking to enforce a payment in QLD? It is necessary to understand debt recovery and the procedures involved in enforcing payment to ensure you recover the money owed to you.

Various Queensland adjudication bodies and tribunals require registering their judgments and orders before parties can enforce them. In Queensland, the National Consumer Credit Protection Act (Cth) applies, which sets out responsible lending obligations and procedures to recover debts.

Letter of Demand

Before lodging your claim with a tribunal or adjudication body, a Letter of Demand is generally the first step taken.  A Letter of Demand is a formal request that the debtor pays you an outstanding debt. This Letter of Demand, sent to the person who owes you money, should advise the amount due and request that he or she pay the outstanding amount within a reasonable time (for example, 14 days).

A carefully drafted Letter of Demand by a dispute resolution lawyer can be very useful in saving time and money. A Letter of Demand encourages debtors to not only pay their debts but also avoids the cost of the litigation process. If you run a business, we can assist you in drafting a Letter of Demand that you can reuse.

How to Enforce a Payment with QCAT

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) manages disputes in a relatively quick and inexpensive manner and is ideal for minor civil debt disputes. In addition to debt recovery, QCAT also handles residential tenancy terminations, domestic and commercial building disputes and all other monetary and non-monetary decisions. A LegalVision litigation lawyer can ensure you have the right paperwork to enforce the dispute order. 

You are first required to have a certified copy of the tribunal order which QCAT must stamp to confirm it is a true copy, as well as an affidavit signed by you confirming that the amount is outstanding. There are no fees involved with filing the order and affidavit with the courts.

How to Enforce a Payment with the Queensland Magistrates Court

You can also enforce a payment through the Queensland Magistrates Court. After entering into a judgment to recover money,  the enforcement creditor (i.e. the person owed money) can apply to issue an enforcement warrant. An enforcement warrant allows the creditor to recover the debt, either by seizing or selling property. Money can also be redirected to the enforcement debtor from a debtor’s salary. In Queensland, creditors can start court proceedings in the District Court for disputes up to $750 000, the Magistrates Court for disputes up to $150 000 or QCAT or claims up to $25,000.


If you need help responding to a summons, or if someone owes you a debt in which you wish to enforce through a Letter of Demand, we can assist. Our litigation lawyers are experienced in understanding debt enforcement actions in Queensland. Call us today on 1300 544 755 for a fixed-fee obligation free or contact us through the form on this page.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Anthony Lieu
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy