Reading time: 4 minutes

Do you want to kickstart your career as a musician? Do you enjoy performing on a stage in front of your friends, family and fans? Sometimes you cannot do it on your own, which is why you should consider getting an agent or manager. They can help you book gigs, organise your music and make the path to success a little easier. This article explains what should should consider when deciding to engage an agent or manager in New South Wales (NSW).

Can We Still Use the Terms ‘Agent’ and ‘Manager’?

In NSW, agents and managers are governed by the Entertainment Industry Act 2013. The distinction between ‘agent’ and ‘manager’ has since been abolished and replaced with an umbrella term, ‘performer representative’.

However, we still use the terms ‘agent’ and ‘manager’ in practice. This is because different rules apply to the form of agreement and permissible scope of work, depending on whether you are engaging a performer representative as an agent or manager. As a result, this article will use the traditional terms, agent and manager, to explain the practical differences between the two.

What Do You Need to Consider When Engaging an Agent?

An agent’s role is to:

  • seek or find work opportunities for you;
  • negotiate terms and conditions in agreements before performances;
  • finalise arrangements relating to payments due to you;
  • administer agreements between you and entertainment industry hirers; and
  • arrange public attendances and related publicity responsibilities.

The agent provides these services to you under an entertainment industry agreement. This agreement does not have to be in writing. However, it must include the ‘standard’ services you are to receive from the agent and the fees that an agent can charge you.

An agent’s payable fees are capped by the Entertainment Industry Act as follows:

  • for film, television or media, the maximum that an agent can charge is 10% of the total amount payable to you; and
  • for live theatre, musical or variety performances, the maximum that an agent can charge is 10% for any period up to five weeks and then 5% for any period after that.

The Act does not explain whether the threshold is calculated off your gross or net earnings. Therefore, you should consider this before entering into an agreement with an agent.

What Do You Need to Consider When Engaging a Manager?

A manager plays a more significant role in your career development. In addition to what an agent does, they provide career counselling and supervise your business affairs. Therefore, a manager may charge additional fees in excess of the statutory cap, provided you enter into an entertainment industry managerial agreement. This type of agreement must be in writing and:

  • specify that the additional services being provided relate to the management of your reputation and career development;
  • specify the fees payable for those additional services;
  • note that both parties acknowledge the manager is charging extra fees for the additional services they provide; and
  • provide a cooling-off period of three days, so you can seek legal advice and terminate the agreement without penalty.

Who Else Do You Have to Deal With?

You may need to deal with venue representatives and entertainment industry hirers. An entertainment industry hirer is the person who engages or contracts performers like you. A venue representative acts on behalf of an entertainment industry hirer to arrange performances by you at a particular venue. 

What Are the General Obligations of a Performer Representative?

Performer representatives are bound by a code of conduct, which ensures professional and ethical conduct.

Regardless of whether you engage an agent or manager, a performer representative must hold any money received on your behalf in a general trust account. Your representative must then disburse any money owed to you within 14 days of them receiving the money.

The relationship between you and your performer representative is fiduciary. This means that your representative has an obligation to always act in your best interests.

Key Takeaways

You may decide to engage an agent or manager. Either way, you should be aware of the agreements you need to have in place, as well as the type of service your representative offers. Although the NSW legislation does not distinguish between agents and managers, there are some practical differences between the two. If you need assistance to engage an agent or manager, contact LegalVision’s media and entertainment lawyers on 1300 544 755 or fill out the form on this page.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Nessim Malak
Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards