When you resolve a dispute through the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), the decision made by the tribunal is final and the parties must follow it. Therefore, you can expect that the debtor to the dispute will comply with the decision made by the tribunal. However, this is not always the case. Sometimes you resolve a conflict through the tribunal, and the debtor does not comply with the orders QCAT makes. If you find yourself in this situation, a good first step is to send a letter of demand. In this article, we set out the options available to you when the debtor does not comply with a QCAT decision.

Register the QCAT Decision in the Magistrates Court

The first step in enforcing a tribunal decision is registering it in the Magistrates Court. This involves filing an affidavit and a copy of the tribunal order. An affidavit is a sworn document that confirms that the orders of the tribunal have not already been complied with. Once you register the tribunal decision at the Magistrates Court, you can enforce it in the same way parties enforce judgments made by the Magistrates Court.

Statement of Financial Position

Once you have filed the tribunal decision in the Magistrates Court, you can send the debtor a written notice to complete a statement of financial position. As the name suggests, you can use a statement of financial position to gain more information about the debtor’s assets and liabilities. They are useful when you are seeking to enforce a monetary order.

A statement of financial position can help you decide how to enforce the decision.  It can also assist you to decide whether to apply for an enforcement warrant from the Magistrates Court.

If the debtor does not comply or you are not satisfied with the information provided, you can apply for an enforcement hearing. At an enforcement hearing, you will be able to ask questions about the debtor’s assets and liabilities. This will allow you to gain a better understanding of their financial position.

Enforcement Warrant

Another avenue available when you are seeking to enforce a QCAT decision is to apply for an enforcement warrant from the Magistrates Court. An enforcement warrant directs the debtor to take a particular action.

The content and nature of the enforcement warrant will vary, depending on your case. Enforcement warrants that the court can issue include:

  • seizure and sale of property;
  • redirection of debt;
  • regular redirections from financial institutions;
  • redirection of earnings; and
  • payment by installments.

You must file all the relevant forms at the courthouse where you registered the tribunal decision. You do not have to notify the debtor before filing an enforcement warrant and the court can issue it without a formal hearing.

Once the court issues the enforcement warrant, you must write the sheriff or deputy registrar a letter of instructions explaining what you want them to do to enforce the judgment.

Renewal of the QCAT Decision

A debtor can apply for a renewal of the QCAT decision when:

  • it is not possible for the debtor to comply with the QCAT decision; or
  • there are issues with interpretation of the decision.

They must apply for renewal within 28 days of:

  • the notice of the final decision; or
  • the date they were given the reasoning, if they are renewing due to issues with the reasoning.

The tribunal may make the same decision or make a new decision.

Key Takeaways

Decisions made by tribunals are final and all parties must comply with the orders. However, sometimes a debtor does not comply with a QCAT decision. In this situation, you can enforce the decision by registering it at the Magistrates Court.

Once you have registered the decision, there are various actions you can take to enforce it. You should seek legal advice to ensure you are doing so correctly and effectively. If you need assistance enforcing a QCAT decision, contact LegalVision’s litigation lawyers on 1300 544 755 or fill out the form on this page.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.
Eugenia Munoz

Get a Free Quote Now

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • We will be in touch shortly with a quote. By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy