A call option gives the option holder the right to acquire shares. The option holder is not obliged to purchase the shares – they merely have the right or option to do so. There are two different types of call options that one might consider when entering into a call option agreement as set out in the table below.

Type of Share Grantor Rights Conferred
Option to subscribe for shares Company Right to subscribe for new shares
Option to purchase shares Existing shareholder Right to subscribe for existing shares

The documents for each type of call option differs slightly. We discuss these general differences below.

What are the Key Differences in the Option Agreements?

One key difference between the option agreements is the parties to the agreement. For a call option to subscribe for shares, the company must be the grantor of the option because only the company can issue shares. For a call option to purchase shares, the grantor of the option is an existing shareholder. Sometimes, the company is also required as a party to the agreement. This can provide the option holder additional comfort knowing that the business is aware of the arrangement and will ensure a smooth transfer of shares when the option holder exercises their option as well as at the completion of the transfer.

Another key difference between the two types of call option arrangements are the documents that may be required to be delivered at completion following the exercise of the call option.

Type of Share On the Date of Completion Documents Company Issues
Option to subscribe for shares Option holder issued with new shares in the company Company issues new share certificates to the option holder and updates shareholders’ register
Option to purchase shares Existing shareholder delivers option holder duly executed transfers in registrable form for the options Company updates shareholders’ register, cancels grantor’s old share certificates and issues new share certificates

Does ASIC Need to be Notified?

Proprietary companies do not need to notify ASIC when parties enter into a call option agreement. However, parties will need to notify ASIC after the call option is exercised and the completion of the share issuance or share transfer has occurred.   

What Type of Ancillary Documentation is Required?

For a call option to subscribe for shares, the company is required to register the call option in an option holder register. The company is required to set up and maintain the register under section 170 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).

For both types of call options, the option holder should review the company’s documents (including company constitution and the shareholders agreement) to determine what type of approvals or waiver of pre-emptive rights are required for the performance of the call option agreement.

The shareholders agreement (if one exists) will most likely require that the option holder delivers a duly executed copy of the deed of accession upon completion of the issuance or transfer of shares.

Key Takeaways

The process to transfer option shares differs depending on whether you are subscribing to or purchasing the shares – so it’s important to get this right. If you are unsure of your rights, you should first consult the call option agreement as well as the shareholders agreement and company constitution.

Questions? Get in touch with our commercial lawyers on 1300 544 755.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Sue Yim
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy