To the parents and carers of a family member with a disability, the single most concerning issue in respect of their own mortality is the welfare of that person when they’re no longer capable of looking after them on a day-to-day basis (“Who will look after [him/her] when I’m not around any more?”). Perhaps another family member will be prepared to step into the breach and take on this responsibility and, that being the case, that’s great, but formal arrangements will still need to be made so that the person stepping into the role of carer/guardian has the appropriate legal and financial authority effectively to fulfil the role. On the other hand, what if no-one else is available (or prepared) to take on the role of carer/guardian of the person with the disability – what happens then? If no-one else is available and/or willing to take on this role (or if the only person available is for some reason inappropriate or unsuitable, then the Guardianship Tribunal – a legal tribunal established under the NSW Guardianship Act (1987) – can hear and determine applications for the appointment of guardians and financial managers for adults with decision-making disabilities. The Tribunal can also:

  • Review the guardianship and financial management orders it makes;
  • Review enduring powers of attorney and enduring guardianship appointments;
  • Provide consent to medical or dental treatment; and/or
  • Approve a clinical trial so that people with decision-making disabilities can take part.

The Public Guardian (often referred to as the “OPG” – Office of the Public Guardian) promotes the rights and interests of people with disabilities through guardianship, advocacy and education. The Guardianship Tribunal appoints the NSW Public Guardian as guardian of last resort and the Public Guardian then acts as a substitute decision-maker for people under his or her guardianship. Some people may be happy at the prospect of the affairs of their family member with a disability being put in the hands of a State Government instrumentality – many, having devoted much of their lives to the care and guardianship of this person, may not. However, unless you have a current Will in place that is both valid and appropriate, and you have made provision in it for the care, maintenance and support of your disabled family member, it may well be that this person will be cared for – for good or ill – by just such an instrumentality, and you and your family will have no say in the matter at all.

Please note that LegalVision is a commercial law firm and cannot assist with these matters.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Richard Kempe
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy