Reading time: 5 minutes

If you are reading this, it is probable that you are the debtor who has been sequestrated either by presenting a Debtor’s Petition or the presentation of a Creditor’s Petition. But you may be wondering, what property actually vests in the trustee? In other words, once you have been officially declared bankrupt, what property can the trustee liquidate in order to pay your creditors?

Divisible Property

Property that the trustee can take from you is known as ‘divisible property’ as well as any rights and powers to that property that would have been exercisable if the bankruptcy had not occurred. Divisible property is basically property that the trustee can take from you, sell and divide the payment among creditors. Common types of property that the trustee can take include:

  • interest in housing;
  • cash from your bank account;
  • fixtures and fittings;
  • stocks and shares;
  • gifts and legacies; and
  • jewellery.

As we will cover below, there are some exceptions and you may be able to recover some of your assets if you satisfy the selected criteria.

What happens to your income during Bankruptcy?

Contrary to popular belief, once you become bankrupt you will most likely not stop working altogether. You are probably going to continue working and indeed insolvency law operates so as to encourage you to earn money so you can repay your debts. Accordingly, the trustee is not going to take away all your money and income and there will be a sort of sharing arrangement whereby you keep a share of the money you earn and the remainder is given to the trustee. So, in terms of your income, the trustee will assess your income in a period called the Contribution Assessment Period. If the income you earn exceeds a set ‘income threshold amount’, you are liable to pay contributions to the trustee. Practically, the contribution amount will be calculated in advance so you will know how much you can spend and how much you will need to hand over to the trustee. You will have to make continuous contributions, subject to the assessment periods, regularly until your bankruptcy ends. Income, in this context, includes anything you can think of as ‘incoming payments’ – from fringe benefits to family members giving you money. You are legally obliged to be honest and make full disclosure. For example, if you get a promotion and a salary raise, you will have to notify the trustee so as to make the correct assessment accordingly. If you do not, your bankruptcy period may be extended from the standard 3 years to a maximum of 8 years.

What if you do not pay your Contribution?

If you do not provide adequate reasons for not paying your contribution, the trustee is entitled access to every detail of what you are spending. It is important to note that there is also something called the ‘Supervised Account Regime’ that may come into play. In other words, the bank may be informed from the trustee or Official Receiver that you are bankrupt. As such, when your salary comes into your bank account from your employer, the bank will hold back the contribution amount so you will not be able to spend it.

Reviewing or Challenging the Contribution Assessment

When the trustee has finished his or her contribution assessment, they are required to give you a report outlining the particulars and details. They do this because you may be able to challenge certain calculations. For example, your wife may have suddenly fallen ill and you may require more money in order to pay for medications. You could challenge the assessment, but ironically, you will have to pay a fee for the challenge to be decided by the Inspector General who can either: confirm the trustee’s assessment, set aside the assessment or make a fresh assessment. Generally, if you do not get an answer within 60 days of lodging your complaint, the trustee’s assessment stands.


You may also challenge the assessment on certain grounds of hardship. You must apply to the trustee in writing. Some of the grounds on which you can apply to the trustee are where:

  • You or a dependant suffers from an illness or disability and requires, for example, medical attention, medicines, equipment, or treatment;
  • You need to pay child day care so as to enable you to go to work;
  • You are living in rented accommodation and the rent increases;
  • Your company has moved office locations and your travelling expenses to work from home has increased substantially;
  • Your spouse or de facto partner has recently retired so you are now relying on one source of income.


As you can see, there are many reasons why you may be entitled to apply for a Contribution Assessment review. The complexities of vesting property in the trustee is a difficult area of law to navigate.

LegalVision cannot provide legal assistance with this topic. We recommend you contact your local law society.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards