Certain business industries require business licences to be registered to ensure industry professionalism and to protect consumers. A licence is a government authority, approval, registration or permit. Licences regulate activities, locations, events, services, equipment, premises, operators and occupations. Common licences are required for property agents, motor dealers, debt collectors and tattooists. Business licences will depend on business structure, jurisdiction, type of business and industry. Most business industry bodies will have information and resources to assist you with understanding the types of licences you require as you set up your business.

Australian Business Licence & Information Service (ABLIS)

ABLIS assists business owners with finding and registering the right  government licences, permits, approvals, registrations and codes of practice. It includes information for each state or territory, and information about licence fees, how to apply, periods of cover and renewals. The ABLIS is a one-stop-shop to find information from all States and Territories and the Australian Government about business registrations.

Registering a Licence

Registration of a licence for a business will depend on the type of licence, and which regulatory body issues them. This can range from business registration licences to council permits. The first step in determining a licence will be checking the Business Licence Information Service in your business’ state or territory. There are also council licences which are used in event planning, commercial activities such as accommodation, film production and roadside vending.

Copyright Licence

Using text and images for business and commercial purposes without the right copyright licences may be considered copyright infringement. The copyright licence can be purchased to cover the use of copyright material at businesses. Types of licences including CopyrightAccess Licence (when using print material or online articles throughout the business), NewsAccess Licence (digital use of newspapers) and ContentAccess Licence (for public relations and marketing).

Food Business Licence

Operating a food business, such as a restaurant, cafe, catering business, food van or food manufacturer will require a food business licence. This licence is usually managed by local governments, and a licence will be granted upon assessment of the suitability of the premises, compliance history and applicant’s level of skills and knowledge in providing safe food.


LegalVision can assist you with any questions you may have about registering a business licence. LegalVision has a team of great lawyers who can assist you in setting up your business and ensuring it meets its regulatory and compliance requirements. Please call our office on 1300 544 755 and our Client Care team will happily provide you with an obligation-free consultation and a fixed-fee quote.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Anthony Lieu
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy