A caveat is a type of statutory injunction preventing the registration of particular dealings with real property. In NSW, the Real Property Act 1900 governs caveats. The word caveat means ‘beware’ and lodging a caveat on real property warns anyone dealing with the property that someone has a priority interest in that property. The party who lodges a caveat is known as a caveator. We explain below how to lodge a caveat and why you would need to do. 

Lodging a Caveat

In NSW, when a caveat is lodged at the Land & Property Information (LPI), it effectively prevents the registration of further dealings on the property’s title until the caveat is the following:

  • Formally withdrawn by the caveator; or
  • Lapses; or
  • Removed by an order of the Court; or 
  • The caveator consents to another’s registration dealing with the property’s title.

What Detail is Required on a Caveat?

In NSW, when completing a caveat for lodgment, you are required to include the following information:

  • Caveator’s name and residential address/registered office including an address where notices can be served;
  • Name and address of the registered proprietor (we recommend that you complete a title search to ensure this information is correct);
  • Reference details for which the caveat relates;
  • Particulars of the legal or equitable estate of interest;
  • A verified statutory declaration; and
  • The signature of the caveator, solicitor or another agent of the caveator.

Why Lodge a Caveat?

If you have an estate or interest in land through which registration of another dealing cannot protect, you may consider lodging a caveat to protect your legal position. This is known as a caveatable interest. You must ensure that this interest in the land is present at the time you are lodging the caveat.

Caveatable interests include a registered or equitable mortgage, transfer, a purchaser under an agreement for sale, a tenant (in certain circumstances), a registered proprietor and contractual rights.

What Happens if I Incorrectly Lodge a Caveat Without a Caveatable Interest?

Only a person who has a caveatable interest is entitled to lodge a caveat or to instruct their lawyer to lodge a caveat on their behalf. Lodging a caveat without reasonable cause is a serious matter, and you may be liable to compensate any person who suffers a resulting pecuniary loss. 

In Short

Before lodging a caveat, take steps to ensure you have a caveatable interest in the property otherwise you may be liable to pay compensation to the wronged parties. If you need advice on your caveatable interest or assistance with drafting a caveat, let our commercial lawyers know. 

Lauren Moroney

Next Steps

If you would like further information on any of the topics mentioned in this article, please get in touch using the form on this page.