According to our litigation lawyers, if you have been served with a Claim for a matter brought before the Queensland Supreme Court, you have the following options available to you:

  1. Perform the claim as set out in the relevant section (e.g. pay the amount set out, or return a particular item); or
  2. Dispute the claim.

If you intend to perform the claim, contact the Plaintiff and inform them of your decision as soon as possible.

If you intend to dispute the claim, you can do so by filing a Defence.


In order to file a defence you must complete:

  1. Form 6 – Notice of Intention to Defend; and
  2. Form 17 – Defence; or
  3. Form 18 – Defence and Counter Claim.

Counter Claims are explained further below.

Irrespective of whether you intend to only file a Defence or file both a Defence and Cross Claim, you will need to complete one of these and file it with the completed Notice of Intention to Defend. This must be done within 28 days of the day you were served with the Claim.

Our litigation lawyers tell us that the forms must be filed in the registry where the Claim was filed.

Note that although you may technically file the defence at any time before judgment is given regarding the Claim, if you file after the 28-day period, you run the risk of having a default judgment and/ or cost orders filed against you.

Counter Claim

A Counter Claim is a claim that you have against the Plaintiff. For example, if you believe the Plaintiff actually owes you money rather than the other way around.


After filing the Defence (i.e. a Form 6 and a Form 17/ Form 18), you will need to serve it. Service is the process of formally delivering documents to the other party to a claim.

Response to Counter Claim

Once your Defence has been filed, the Plaintiff must, if they intend to do so, respond to your Counter Claim by filing and serving their response within 14 days. If, however, the Counter Claim involves a new party, that new party must be given 28 days to respond.

From our litigation lawyers’ experience, this counter claim and response process can occur a number of times. This is because parties can ask each other for additional information, clarification on certain points, and consequently raise new claims as more information is provided.

If you need to obtain information from a 3rd party who is not a party to the proceedings (for example, bank transaction records from a financial institution), you will need to complete a Form 21 – Notice of Non-Party Disclosure.

Going to Trial

Once everything is finalised, you and the Plaintiff must then sign off a Form 48 – Request for Trial Date. As your matter is in the Supreme Court, before signing off a Form 48, you or your litigation lawyer will need to fill out and sign the Annexure to the Practice Direction Number 9 of 2010. This includes the requirement that there have been considerations to settle the matter, and a “Trial Plan” has been set out between the parties.

Once this form is filed, the Court will set a date for a hearing.


When you are served with a claim, it can be very intimidating. If you intend to defend the matter, or you simply would like some advice, feel free to give us a call on 1300 544 755 and one of our litigation lawyers assist you.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Emma Jervis
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy