A registered company has to meet certain requirements by law. One of these requirements is to notify the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (“ASIC”) of any changes to your company’s details.

What changes do I need to inform ASIC of?

These changes include, but are not limited to:

  • common changes such as appointment or cessation of an office holder, changes to the addresses of current officeholders, and retirement of officeholders;
  • changes to details of shares;
  • share issue and cancellation;
  • change of registered office;
  • change of company name; and
  • change of ultimate holding company.

How do I inform ASIC of such changes?

Generally, you can notify ASIC of common changes to company details either online or by lodging a Form 484. If you wish to make changes online, you must have registered for online access on the ASIC website. Or, you can fill out a Form 484.

Form 484 is only use for common changes to company details. For more complicated changes, such as changes to company name or any share changes where shares are being issue or cancelled, you need to find the correct form through the ASIC website. It is important that you use the correct form because incorrect lodging can make your changes invalid and expose your business late fees and fines.

You should also note that, for some changes, special resolutions need to be passed by the company and filed with ASIC together with the relevant forms.

What happens if I fail to notify ASIC?

The Corporations Act requires officeholders of a company to inform ASIC of certain changes. If you do not do so you may be contacted by ASIC. ASIC will most likely send you a letter and you must comply with the requests outlined in the letter. If you do not respond to a letter from ASIC, further action may be taken, and you may receive further warning letters, notices pursuant to s1274(11) of the Corporations Act, court action or possibly deregistration of your company.

Is there a time period? Are there late penalties?

For each ASIC form, there is a set time period for filing. Each form has their individual lodging periods which can be checked at http://www.asic.gov.au/.

For example, for changes covered by Form 484, the lodging period is twenty-eight (28) days. There are no applicable fees for filing this form. However, if you fall out of the lodging period, there are late fees of $74.00 if your application is up to one (1) month late, and $308.00 if it is over one (1) month late.

As stated earlier, these time periods and late fees vary from form to form. It is best to check on the ASIC website or by contacting your solicitor.


Are you making changes to your company? Make sure you meet the requirements and deadlines to avoid paying late fees.

Contact LegalVision today for a free fixed-fee quote!


COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Lachlan McKnight
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy