Use of personal information
Why do businesses collect personal information?
Generally, businesses tend to collect and use the information for the following purposes:
- Contacting the customer;
- Communicating with the customer;
- For internal record keeping;
- For market research;
- For business development including website development;
- For marketing purposes including direct marketing;
o To run competitions;
o To send promotional information; and
o To offer additional benefits.
Disclosure of personal information
As well as how you will use the customer’s personal information, you need to set out how this personal information will be disclosed.
This generally includes:
- For the purpose of providing your products and/or services to the customer;
- To enable third party service providers to assist you in providing products and/or services;
- To credit reporting agencies where the customer fails to pay;
- To courts, tribunals and other authorities as required by law; and
- To third parties to provide direct marketing.
Was this article helpful?
We appreciate your feedback – your submission has been successfully received.