Congratulations on considering setting up a not-for-profit organisation or a charity. This article focuses on the legal documents that you may need during this process.

This article is part 2 of a 5-part series to assist charities and not-for-profit organisations understand their legal needs. Part 1 focussed on choosing the right structure. Part 3 will discuss the requirement for registering with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission. Part 4 will consider what is a Public Benevolent Institution, a health promotion charity and a religious charity, and Part 5 will seek to explain the process for obtaining deductible gift recipient (DGR) status.

Your legal documents depend on your legal structure

Your not-for-profit organisation or charity must comply with legal requirements, including having certain governing documents. The governing documents depend on the structure of your charity.

For example, generally speaking, if your charity is:

  • an incorporated association, the governing documents are the articles of association.
  • a company limited by guarantee or other company under Corporations Act 2001, the governing document is the constitution.
  • a trust, the governing document is the trust deed.
  • a co-operative, the governing document is the constitution.
  • an unincorporated association, the governing document is the rules.

What does the government document need to cover?

The name, detail and exact nature of the governing instruments differ depending on the structure of the organisation. However, generally speaking, the governing instrument needs to cover the following:

  • The objects of your organisation;
  • The powers of your organisation i.e. how it will achieve its objects;
  • A non-distribution of profits provision which states that funds of your organisation cannot be distributed to the members;
  • Management of the organisation including who will run your organisation and how it will be run;
  • Internal arrangements for meetings, voting, looking after funds, etc.;
  • An amendment provision on how the instrument can be altered; and
  • A dissolution provision dealing with what happens to the organisation in the event it is wound up.


A charities lawyer can help you create the governing documents that you need. If you require assistance in drafting or reviewing any of these documents, check the ACNC Factsheet on governing documents for charities.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Ursula Hogben
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy