Reading time: 4 minutes

Increased tourism is resulting in many people choosing to lease their holiday house – especially short-term. Like all commercial undertakings, renting out your residence also involves thinking about legal matters. This article outlines those legal issues prospective landlords need to consider.

1. Local Council

Before property owners can lease their holiday house, they need all requisite development approvals or consent from their local council. In particular, an owner needs to know whether their local council permits short-term rentals. For example, the City of Sydney requires any property owner wishing to rent out their property short-term to have prior council approval. Some unscrupulous landlords are willing to rent typically sub-standard property to more people than the dwelling can in fact sustain, creating a risk to public safety. The Council’s stance also has judicial authority. In 2013, the Land and Environment Court held that to be within the law, landlords needed council consent before they could rent their property short term.

2. Holiday Rental Agreement

You will need a comprehensively written holiday rental agreement that contains the following:

  • Who the tenant is and how many people will be staying;
  • How many people the property can accommodate;
  • How much rent tenants must pay; and
  • Dates the tenants will occupy the property together with check-in and check-out times.

Although this may seem unusual, the agreement should list the premises’ address. An actual address can minimise the potential for disagreement about the exact property a tenant agrees to rent.

Also, the agreement should provide the lessor’s terms and conditions for guests. For example, as a landlord, you will need a policy on pets, possibly small children and whether you require a deposit in advance. Your terms and conditions should list all prohibited activities such as parties as well as your policies when a guest changes their booking or cancels. For example, outline if and when a guest can cancel their booking and any implications for payment. Be sure to include when you, the lessor, can cancel a reservation. For example, if the roof sustains damage in a storm. It is also prudent that the agreement requires tenants to provide a bond. It should nominate the amount of the bond and when and for what you can use it.

3. Agency Agreement

If you intend to allow an agent or organisation to manage your property, you will need a written agency agreement. The agreement should include details about the agent’s commission and how the parties distribute costs. The agreement also needs to be sufficiently comprehensive to allow the agent to manage the property according to your wishes. Ensure you then outline all your conditions for guests.

The agreement should specify rent as well as whether guests need to pay a deposit or provide a bond. Also, it should have policies about cancelling and changing bookings.

4. Insurance

If you intend to rent your holiday house short-term, you may also require a different kind of home insurance. With the success of accommodation sharing platforms like Airbnb, many insurance companies now offer products tailored for short-term rentals – adequate insurance can help protect your asset.

5. Taxation

You also need to comply with all your tax obligations when leasing your holiday house. The Australian Taxation Office is increasingly focusing on ensuring that taxpayers do not profit from the ‘share economy’ – for example, renting a room on Airbnb – without paying income tax.

Also, a person who rents their holiday house or has it available for rent can claim proportionate expenses for the property. If the owner stays in the house or allows their friends and family to stay there at no charge or for a reduced fee, they must apportion these expenses.


If you have any questions or need any assistance with leasing your holiday house, get in touch with our leasing lawyers on 1300 544 755. 


Construction Contract Essentials

Thursday 12 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Understand how construction contracts are drafted and how to protect your construction business.
Register Now

Startup 101: Understanding Cap Tables and ESOPs

Thursday 19 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Cap tables and employee share option plans are essential for fast-growing startups. Learn more with this free webinar.
Register Now

Expanding to NZ: Structuring Your Business For Success

Thursday 26 August | 2:00 - 2:45pm

Launching a business in New Zealand? Understand how to structure your business for success with this free webinar.
Register Now

Preventing Modern Slavery: Your Business’ Legal Obligations

Thursday 9 September | 11:00 - 11:45am

Are you an Australian business with $100m+ annual consolidated revenue? Learn how to determine if you are a modern slavery reporting entity and your obligations under the legislation with this free webinar.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. From just $119 per week, get all your contracts sorted, trade marks registered and questions answered by experienced business lawyers.

Learn more about LVConnect

Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation – Finalist – Australasian Law Awards 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice – Winner – Australasian Lawyer 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer