Reading time: 3 minutes

People often incorporate their companies in one state, and then want to change the State of Registration to another.

Why do people want to do this? There are a variety of reasons for this. Maybe another state has some additional tax benefits that you would like to take advantage of, which are not available in the state that you originally registered your company in. Or perhaps your business operations have moved to another state, and it is more convenient for you to have the state of registration moved to that state.

Regardless of the reason, changing the state of registration of your company is not a simple process. There are a number of steps which must be followed.

Get shareholder approval

First you must obtain shareholder approval. There must be a minimum of 75% of the shareholders approving the change in the state of registration, unless your company’s constitution or shareholders agreement requires a different vote. Shareholder approval is usually obtained by special resolution.

Notify ASIC

Once you have received approval from your shareholders, you are required to notify ASIC of your intentions to change the state of registration. To do this, you are required to complete a Form 205 which is available here.

Obtain minister’s approval

You cannot change the state of registration of your company until you obtain the minister’s approval. You need to seek approval from the minister of the State or Territory that your company is currently registered in. Every State and Territory has a different minister or regulatory body who approves this. For New South Wales, this is the New South Wales Attorney General and Minister for Justice.

There are a number of things that you should address in this letter to the minister, including, but not limited to:

  • details about your company;
  • the company’s principal place of business;
  • the type of business that the company is engaged in;
  • the company’s annual turnover, assets and liabilities;
  • information about the company’s employees; and
  • why you are seeking to change the state of registration.

If you get approval, let ASIC know

If you are successful in obtaining the minister’s approval, you need to notify ASIC again – this time using a Form 2213. The form is available here. ASIC will not change the state of registration until at least 28 days after the day of lodgement. This is because ASIC needs to provide anyone who wishes to challenge the change, sufficient time to do so.


It can be difficult to obtain the minister’s approval to change the state of registration for your company. If have good reasons for wanting to switch the state of registration, we recommend that you seek the assistance of a business lawyer. You can get in touch with a business lawyer by calling LegalVision on 1300 544 755.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards