The types of insurance you take out for your business depends on the business risks involved in the services you provide. Your insurance policy should cover you for the costs involved in defending claims, and paying compensation to injured parties.

Liability insurance protects you and your business against financial losses incurred when:

  • A person is injured or suffers loss; or
  • Property is damaged or destroyed as a result of your actions, negligence, the condition of your property or reliance on your services.

As a consultant and independent contractor, you should consider having public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. If you engage other workers as employees, you will also need workers compensation insurance.

Public Liability Insurance

If you operate from commercial or retail premises that can be accessed by the public, it is likely that your business will need public liability insurance. This type of insurance covers incidents of death or injury to third parties, property loss or damage, or economic loss caused by negligence.

If a person, business or contractor, is found liable for any of these types of incidents, then public liability insurance covers the costs involved with these claims. The policy provider, however, will assess each case differently, as they generally do not cover risks that you or your business knew or should have known.

There are laws in place which state the standard of care you should uphold to avoid liability in this regard, however, should you find yourself subject to a claim, this form of insurance limits your financial risk. You should ensure your policy provides for an adequate insurance amount. This will depend on the nature, type and size of your business.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

This type of insurance should be taken out by those who give professional advice or perform services to clients through their type of work. This particularly applies to those engaged in consultancy work, as consultants provide their opinions and recommendations on a day-to-day basis.

Professional indemnity insurance protects you against claims if a client suffers loss through receiving your services or relying on your advice, and includes cover for legal costs. Many professions (for example, the medical profession) make this type of insurance compulsory.

Workers’ Compensation

This form of insurance provides payment to employees who are injured or become sick while completing their work duties. This can be to cover their wages, medical expenses, and rehabilitation costs.

If you employ staff for your business, you will need to take out workers compensation insurance. The regulator of workers compensation differs depending on what state you are in, for example, WorkCover regulates worker compensation in WA.

It is important to note that if the worker is involved with a business under a labour hire agreement, the business to which the worker provides their services is not their employer. Rather, the agency who places the worker with the business is the employer, and should have the necessary insurance.

What if a Claim is Made Against Me?

If you have had a claim made against you for any of the incidents described above, you should contact a lawyer to review and advise you on your insurance policy and legal position. Different legal standards apply depending on the type of claim, and it is important you seek professional advice.

Key Takeaways

The nature of your work and the services you provide will dictate the types of insurance you require. As a consultant and an independent contractor, it is important to consider obtaining public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. If you are unsure about which types of insurance is best suited to the risks applicable to your business, contact one of employment lawyers.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Lachlan McKnight
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy