A loved one passing away is a very difficult time. If your husband had his own business and has left it to you, you now have the same rights and obligations in the business that your husband did as an owner, partner or shareholder.

Let’s assume that your husband was the sole owner of the business and there are no partners or other shareholders involved.

If your husband was the sole owner, then you generally have 3 options available to you:

1. You can take over your husband’s position and continue running the business.

2. You can sell the business to a third party.

3. You can wind up the business.

Each option is briefly evaluated below.

Continue running the business

If you were always heavily involved with your husband’s business and you are a business savvy individual, then you can consider stepping in your husband’s role and continue the business as is. This means that you need to, as soon as possible, have a good look into the business’s debts, contacts, and other records to ensure that you are sure of the responsibilities and obligations of the business. If you are stepping into the business as a director, then there are directors’ duties which are applicable to you under the Corporations Act.

Sell the business

If you were not involved with the business, or if it is an area that you are unfamiliar with, it may be a good idea for you to simply sell the business to a third party. Selling a business can be a complicated process as it may require a proper valuation of the business including any stock, equipment, good will and existing contracts, and depending on the nature of your business, transfer of licenses and certificates. It is also important, on the sale of the business, that all obligations and liabilities of the business are properly transferred to the purchaser. To ensure that the business is properly transferred, it is best to seek the assistance of a lawyer when selling your business.

Wind up the business

If the business is a company, and you are not interested in continuing the business or selling it to a third party, you can consider winding it up. A company remains registered as a company even long after it ceases trading and is still subject to the same requirements which include paying fees to the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (“ASIC”). If there are no other shareholders involved in the business, you can apply to ASIC to voluntarily deregister the company, assuming that the company meets certain legal requirements.

Professional assistance should be sought if you are unsure of the proper procedures.

Please note that LegalVision is a commercial law firm and cannot assist with these matters.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy