Reading time: 4 minutes

The success of a petrol station business will heavily rely on a functioning and reliable relationship between you and your supplier. It then goes without saying that if you have a fuel supply dispute, you should address the issues immediately. This article steps through how to resolve a dispute with your fuel supplier. 

1. Negotiation

It’s easy to overlook negotiating with the other party when a dispute arises. When a relationship breaks down, you are hardly in the best mindset to compromise. However, don’t underestimate the benefits of good faith negotiation. Remember to explain the issues as you see them clearly. Take the time to listen to the other party, and focus on your interests.

2. Dispute Resolution Under the Oilcode

The ‘Oilcode’ is a schedule of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and governs fuel supply and retail. Part 4 of the Oilcode establishes a dispute resolution procedure that applies to disputes between a petrol wholesaler who fails to supply a petroleum product to a customer, and any other disputes arising between parties to a fuel reselling agreement. The Oilcode breaks dispute resolution procedures into two categories.

Section 43: Disputes About the Supply of a Declared Petroleum Product

Disputes arise in this category when a wholesaler fails to supply a declared petroleum product to a customer. When this happens, you need to:

  • write to the other party detailing the nature of the dispute;
  • the outcome that you desire; and
  • the action(s) that you consider the other party needs to take to resolve the dispute.

If the matter remains unresolved after this, you can refer the dispute to the Oilcode Dispute Resolution Adviser to make a non-binding determination. A non-binding determination is a judgement on the matter that is not legally enforceable. It does, however, carry significant weight as a court may consider the determination and whether the parties have complied with it when deciding on the matter.

When making a non-binding determination, the dispute resolution adviser may seek information including:

  • contractual arrangements between the parties;
  • compliance with the Code; and
  • what action each party has taken to try and resolve the dispute.

Section 44: Disputes Other Than Under Section 43

Disputes in this category relate to disputes other than a failure to supply a declared petroleum product. If your dispute falls into this category, you can agree with the other party to the dispute on how to resolve it. If you cannot agree, you can refer the matter to the Dispute Resolution Adviser who has the power to appoint a mediator to try and resolve the dispute for you.

Mediation is a way to solve a legal problem outside of court. A mediator acts as a third, neutral facilitator between the parties, and helps them address the issues. Parties may choose whether or not to receive advice from a lawyer.

3. Going to Court

If you cannot resolve your dispute through the above methods, it may be time to consider taking further legal action by commencing proceedings in an appropriate court or tribunal. You can do this by filing a statement of claim setting out:

  • what you are claiming;
  • the grounds on which you are legally entitled to claim; and
  • other relevant facts and details.

Also, the Oilcode gives you the right to commence proceedings at any stage of attempting to resolve a dispute. When considering lodging a claim with a court, it is always sensible to obtain legal advice.

Key Takeaways

There are several steps you can take to resolve your fuel supply dispute. Don’t rule out negotiation and other forms of out-of-court dispute resolution procedures as they can be efficient and cost-effective. As a first step, it is worthwhile discussing your options with an experienced disputes lawyer. If you have any questions or need assistance resolving your dispute with a fuel supplier, get in touch with LegalVision’s disputes resolution team on 1300 544 755,


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards