We earlier explained how to enforce a payment in Western Australia by issuing a Letter of Demand. This does not however always result in the debtor paying the outstanding money owed. If you do choose to move the matter forward, it is important that you understand the process in lodging a claim in the Magistrates Court of Western Australia.

Step One: Lodge a Minor Claim

You will first need to fill in a minor claim form, which you can collect from the Magistrates Court or download from the website. You can then lodge your claim online and pay by credit card, or, you can lodge the claim and pay the application fee in person at the court registry.

Step Two: Notify the Defendant

It is important that you confirm the Defendant receives a copy of the claim by either providing them with a copy yourself (called ‘service’), or the Court can appoint someone to deliver the claim. You must serve the Defendant as soon as practicable and within one year of lodging the minor claim form. 

Step Three: Statement of Claim

You will then need to lodge a Statement of Claim (SOC) along with your minor claim form. The SOC is a document outlining the details of the matter and your case. You have 14 days to lodge the SOC from receiving the Defendant’s notice of intention to defend. 

Step Four: The Defendant’s Response

The Defendant must respond within 14 days of receiving notice of your claim. They can:

  • Admit the debt, 
  • Dispute the debt, or 
  • Admit part of the debt and challenge the remainder.

If the Defendant disputes the debt, in whole or in part, he or she will need to lodge a notice of intention to defend. 

You will then receive notification, and a pre-trial conference will be held to encourage the parties to resolve the matter. If the parties still cannot settle the matter in this initial conference, then the case will be listed and heard in front of a Magistrate. The Defendant’s failure to respond to your claim at all may result in a default judgment awarded in your favour.

Step 5: Settling the Matter

If you can settle the matter directly with the Defendant before trial, let the Magistrates Court know in writing and also that you withdraw the claim. If, however, you and the debtor cannot settle the matter, it will go to trial. 


When seeking to enforce a payment, it is best to resolve the matter outside of court through reminder notices and a Letter of Demand. Engaging a lawyer to draft a Letter of Demand can be invaluable as they will better understand the precise wording to use that does not harass or intimidate the debtor – both actions are illegal.

If this is unsuccessful in recovering the money owed to you, and you choose to take the matter to Court, you will require an experienced litigation lawyer to assist with navigating you through the process. Should you have any questions about enforcing a payment in WA, please get in touch with LegalVision on 1300 544 755.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.
Dhanu Eliezer

Get a Free Quote Now

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • We will be in touch shortly with a quote. By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy