Are you thinking about combining your love of alcohol with your ambitions as a business owner? Whether it’s a nice drop for your customers to enjoy over your latest culinary masterpiece, opening a nightclub that only plays Destiny’s Child, selling craft beer online like the startup Boozebud or, anything in between – you will require a liquor licence to serve alcohol in NSW.

Choosing the Right Liquor Licence for Your Business

The type of licence you’ll require will depend on what activities your business intends to conduct. There are seven liquor licence types in NSW:

  • Club
  • Hotel
  • On-premises
  • Limited
  • Packaged
  • Producer/wholesaler, and
  • Small bar (room for less than 60 people).

You can customise the conditions of these licence types to suit how you’d like to run your business – within reason. Factors that will impact on your licence’s conditions include:

  • When you intend to serve alcohol;
  • The capacity of your business venue;
  • If drinks will be consumed on your business’ premises or taken elsewhere; and
  • If you are producing or wholesaling alcohol.

If you’d like to situate your business in the Sydney CBD or King’s Cross, you may need to wait to apply until after 19 February 2017. There is currently a freeze on some licence applications due to ongoing problems with alcohol-fuelled violence.

Steps to Take Before Lodging Your Application

To apply for a liquor licence in NSW, you will require a National Police Certificate no older than three months. If you are applying on behalf of a corporation, the manager must present a Certificate. The purpose of this Certificate is to ensure you are a suitable candidate and will enforce the Responsible Service of Alcohol.

Some licence applications will also require you to complete a Community Impact Statement (CIS) before lodgement. A CIS will help the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) determine whether your business is going to cause problems for the local council and existing residents, businesses or the police.

Applications will generally need to have received development consent from the local council. Your local council’s website or the Australian Business Licence and Information Service are a good place to find out how you can start this independent approval process.

Lodging Your Application

Completed the pre-lodgment steps? Now you must lodge your CIS (if required) with your application, National Police Certificate and the relevant fee with the ILGA. After you’ve lodged these documents, the community will be notified of your application. The community then has a period when they may lodge their submissions. You are then given the opportunity to respond to the submissions and explain why your awesome business should go ahead. Once this process of investigation is completed, a report is prepared for the Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing (OLGR) who then conduct a risk assessment.

The outcome of this report and assessment will determine whether your liquor licence application is granted and what conditions are to be imposed on the liquor licence if any.

Has Your Application Been Approved?

Congratulations! You may now get your dream business up and running. What happens from here? First off, you’ll need to consider the ongoing requirements of a liquor licensee. This includes the display of signs notifying patrons and staff of the consequences of non-compliance with liquor laws and other requirements regarding the Responsible Service of Alcohol, limiting violence and ensuring your venue complies with all the conditions your licence was granted under.

Another thing to remember is the ongoing cost of a liquor licence – your fees are calculated on the perceived risk of your business so the bigger it is, the higher they are likely to be.

Questions about applying for your liquor licence in NSW? Let us know.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Thomas Richman
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy