Do you dream of setting up a small bar in Perth? Now’s the time. The City of Perth is actively looking to establish small bars in Perth to support the state government’s 2007 reforms to liquor licensing. This article sets out all you need to know to set up a small bar in Perth.

Step 1: Be Clear about your Goals

It is important for you to be sure at the outset of the kind of bar you want to set up. Close your eyes and see it. Do you have tables on the footpath? Are you near the water? How big is the bar? Answering these kinds of questions will smooth the process of setting up your small bar. For example, if you want your patrons to enjoy their wine while gazing at the sea, you have automatically narrowed your search for potential premises. Similarly, the size of your bar may affect the type of Liquor Licence for which you apply. Clarity is everything.

Step 2: Find your Perfect Location

You are now ready to locate the dream premises for your small bar. Take a long walk around Perth. Which areas appeal to you? Alternatively, if you would like to do some research beforehand, the City of Perth provides an excellent online summary and description of the areas comprising the City of Perth. These areas include the Central Business District, East Perth, West Perth and Northbridge.

Once you have found your premises, you will need to make contact with the property agent. At this stage of the process, it would be premature to sign any contracts for purchase or lease. Without development approval from the City of Perth or a Liquor Licence, it would be imprudent to commit yourself contractually.

However, do have a lawyer review the contract and explain it to you in detail. Do not be shy about asking questions. Their expertise can help you decide if the nuts and bolts of the contract are acceptable to you. Also, consider your personal circumstances. If you are someone who enjoys being able to walk to work, a location that requires a long commute may not be right for you.

Step 3: Apply, Apply and Keep on Applying

If you have settled on a location, it is time to prepare and submit the relevant applications.

In general, anyone wanting to set up a small bar in Perth will need to apply for:

  • Planning Approval from the City of Perth; and
  • A Liquor Licence from the WA Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Planning Approval

You need to make your application for planning approval to the City of Perth. The documents that you need as part of your application will depend on your proposal. For example, if your potential premise is already an existing commercial enterprise, you are technically applying for a Change of Use of a location. Similarly, your application will differ if you intend to undertake building works. Carefully read the website for the City of Perth. If you would prefer to speak with someone, contact the City of Perth’s Development Approval Services. Check the website for contact details. Ask all of your questions. Knowing what you need to prepare and provide for your application is essential.

Various instruments regulate development and planning in the city of Perth. These include:

  1. Local Planning Schemes;
  2. The Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015; and
  3. City Planning Scheme 2

Copies of these instruments are accessible online. You will need to be familiar with them.

To assist you in determining what documents you need in your application, consult the City of Perth Planning Scheme No.2 Police Manual available on their website. If you have any question, contact the council. Be aware that all applications attract a fee.

You can employ professional assistance such as a Planning Lawyer to help guide you through this process. The choice is personal and sometimes relies solely on finance. However, a planning lawyer would enable you to save some valuable time. They would also be a great resource of information.

Liquor Licence

To set up a small bar, you will need a Liquor Licence. The licence you will probably need is a Small Bar Licence. You can serve and supply liquor for consumption only on your premises. Also, you must serve no more than 120 people at any one time.

This licence permits trading:

  • Between Monday to Saturday from 6 am until Midnight; and
  • On Sundays from 10 am to Midnight.

There are special rules for New Year’s Eve, Good Friday, Christmas Day and ANZAC Day. Check the website of the WA Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor for further information. There is an application fee. If you obtain a licence, you are also required to pay an Annual Fee. Details of prices are accessible on the website. You can download an application kit online. The kit will guide you in determining if you are eligible for a licence and how to make a complete application.

If you have any questions about the entire process of setting up a small bar in Perth, do not hesitate to contact the Economic Development Unit of the City of Perth. As mentioned above, they are actively looking to enrich the cultural fabric of Perth with small bars. Their email address is on their website.

Step 4: New Horizons

If you are successful in obtaining a Liquor Licence and getting Planning Approval, you are ready to set up your small bar in Perth. Of course, you will also have new responsibilities. As an employer, you have obligations to your employees. You must provide a safe and healthy workplace. You also need to be aware of your wages and superannuation obligations. You will also have obligations as a proprietor. If you need professional assistance, do not hesitate in obtaining it. Information at the outset will potentially save you difficulties later on. Good Luck!

Contact LegalVision’s business lawyers to assist you with your small bar. Questions? Call us on 1300 544 755.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Carole Hemingway
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy