The Consumer and Business Services is responsible for regulating and controlling the sale and supply of liquor under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997 in South Australia.

Do I need a licence?

If you are intending to sell or supply liquor then you must apply for a licence.

What type of licence do I need?

In South Australia, there are currently 11 categories for liquor licences.

They include:

  • Club licence
  • Direct sales licence
  • Entertainment venue licence
  • Hotel licence
  • Limited club licence
  • Producer’s licence
  • Residential licence
  • Restaurant licence
  • Retail liquor merchant’s licence
  • Special circumstances licence
  • Wholesale liquor merchant’s licence

How can I apply for a liquor licence?

After you’ve determined which type of licence you require, you may want to contact a solicitor for assistance before making an application.

When you lodge an application for a liquor licence, if it is for a business, all the partners must be included on the application. If the business is a company, then the applicant is the company, and if the business is run by an individual, then the individual is the correct applicant.

Each type of liquor licence in South Australia has a different application form and follows a different procedure. To apply for a liquor licence in South Australia, go to for further guidance.

You should note that lodgement of an application for a liquor licence does not mean that the application will be granted. The relevant authority will notify you of the outcome of your application by sending a notice to the address provided in the application.

Do I have to pay?

Yes you do. The fee for an application for a new licence, transfer of licence or removal of licence is $539.00 from 1 July 2016. Application fees are subject to change without notification. Fees for liquor licence applications can be found on the CBS website.

What is a limited licence and how can I apply for one?

If you are intending to simply host a party or organise an event where liquor will be sold, then you are required to obtain a limited licence. Limited licences can be lodged online and payment can also be made online.

Note that if you are hosting a function that is, in the opinion of the appropriate licensing authority, held for a charitable or community purpose, there are no fees payable.


For more information about liquor licensing, visit the South Australia local government website at Or if you have any more questions one of our business lawyers will be happy to help you out.

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at

View Privacy Policy