If you need to sign a legally binding document, you may need to find a Justice of the Peace or a Notary Public. A Justice of the Peace (JP) or a Commissioner of Oath is someone who is qualified to witness a person make a statutory declaration or affidavit. JPs and Commissioners of Oath can also certify copies of original documents, such as birth certificates and passports. Notaries Public can perform a similar role but provide a broader range of services. This article will explain what Justices of the Peace, Commissioners of Oath and Notaries Public do and how you can find one.

What Does a Justice of the Peace Do?

Justices of the Peace are volunteers. They are appointed to their position by the governor of their state. Their primary role is to: 

  • witness statutory declarations, oaths or affidavits; and
  • certify copies of original documents. 

JPs act as an independent witness to the  execution of official or legally binding documents. If a document requires a JP to oversee its execution, this will usually be stated in the preliminary notes or near the signature panel.

As a result of their important role, JPs must be honest and impartial. Therefore, they may not: 

  • refuse their services unreasonably;
  • charge a fee; or 
  • receive a gift for their services. 

They also cannot assist with the drafting of a statutory declaration or affidavit or provide any type of legal advice whilst acting in their capacity as a JP. 

In the Northern Territory, a Commissioner of Oath performs the same duties as a Justice of the Peace. Each state has distinct rules about what JPs can do. 

For example, in New South Wales, JPs can certify copies of documents from other states and territories but cannot witness the execution of interstate documents (such as land title documents from another state or territory).

How Do I Find a Justice of the Peace?

Most states have a Justices of the Peace register.

For example, in NSW there is an online register that lists current JPs in the state.

As well as the register, libraries, councils and post offices often make JPs available at scheduled times. A list of scheduled JP services in NSW is available online.

What Is a Notary Public?

A Notary Public is a public officer, such as a practising lawyer, who can: 

  • witness documents; 
  • administer oaths; and 
  • certify copies of original documents. 

Notaries Public are able to perform all the duties of a Justice of the Peace. Furthermore, while a Justice of the Peace is only recognised in Australia, a Notary Public is recognised in overseas jurisdictions. A Notary Public will also have an official seal which is recognised in Australian, foreign and international courts. Notaries Public are sometimes called international Justices of the Peace because their role predominantly involves witnessing or certifying documentation required by a client for overseas use.

This means that a Notary Public can perform a number of unique functions, including: 

  • preparing certificates of law in overseas jurisdictions; and 
  • certifying that a document is a correct copy so that it may be used overseas.

How Do I Find a Notary Public?

Notary locators are accessible online. In NSW, the Notary locator lists names of Notaries Public in many suburbs across the state. 

However, you should make sure that a Notary Public has been admitted and appointed by the Supreme Court in the relevant state or Territory.

In Sydney, for example, the Legal Profession Admission Board administers the appointment of  Notaries Public.

What Services Do Justices of the Peace and Notaries Public Offer?

The key differences between the services offered by JPs, Notaries Public and Commissioners of Oath are listed below. 

Justice of the Peace Commissioner of Oath Notary Public
Recognised throughout Australia Yes Only in NT Yes
Recognised overseas No No Yes
Certify Identity Yes Yes Yes
Certify true copies of original documents Yes Yes Yes
May have their own official seal No No Yes
Witness affidavits and statutory declarations Yes Yes Yes
Certify documents for international recognition No No Yes


You may be able to find Notaries Public and Justices of the Peace that speak other languages. However, it will sometimes be necessary to obtain the services of an interpreter or translator to assist a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace. If you need to do so, the interpreter or translator should be properly qualified. They will need to take an oath stating that they will translate the relevant documents to the best of their ability. 

Key Takeaways

Justices of the Peace, Commissioners of Oath and Notaries Public can witness affidavits, certify documents or administer oaths. Commissioners of Oath are recognised in the Northern Territory. Justices of the Peace are available across Australia and Notaries Public are able to make internationally recognised certifications. Notaries Public are admitted lawyers and provide the broadest range of services. If you need to find a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Oath or Notary Public, you can search the registers available online. 

COVID-19 Business Survey
LegalVision is conducting a survey on the impact of COVID-19 for businesses across Australia. The survey takes 2 minutes to complete and all responses are anonymous. We would appreciate your input. Take the survey now.

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a tech-driven, full-service commercial law firm that uses technology to deliver a faster, better quality and more cost-effective client experience.

The majority of our clients are LVConnect members. By becoming a member, you can stay ahead of legal issues while staying on top of costs. For just $199 per month, membership unlocks unlimited lawyer consultations, faster turnaround times, free legal templates and members-only discounts.

Learn more about LVConnect

Sam Burrett
Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

  • By submitting this form, you agree to receive emails from LegalVision and can unsubscribe at any time. See our full Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Our Awards
  • 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn 2019 Top 25 Startups - LinkedIn
  • 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards 2019 NewLaw Firm of the Year - Australian Law Awards
  • 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500 2020 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards 2020 Law Firm of the Year Finalist - Australasian Law Awards
  • Most Innovative Law Firm - 2019 Australasian Lawyer 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer
Privacy Policy Snapshot

We collect and store information about you. Let us explain why we do this.

What information do you collect?

We collect a range of data about you, including your contact details, legal issues and data on how you use our website.

How do you collect information?

We collect information over the phone, by email and through our website.

What do you do with this information?

We store and use your information to deliver you better legal services. This mostly involves communicating with you, marketing to you and occasionally sharing your information with our partners.

How do I contact you?

You can always see what data you’ve stored with us.

Questions, comments or complaints? Reach out on 1300 544 755 or email us at info@legalvision.com.au

View Privacy Policy