Reading time: 3 minutes

So you’ve been through the litigation process and you’ve obtained a Victorian court order which says that Jane Smith must pay you a certain amount of money by a certain date. But that date comes and goes – and your debt remains unpaid. Your next step ought to be considering enforcing a debt against assets owned by the debtor.

Enforcing a Judgment Debt

As a judgment creditor (in this case, someone in whose favour a money judgment/order has been made), you do not have a right to any specific assets owned by the debtor. In order to ensure that your debt is satisfied, you should first obtain all relevant information as to the financial position of the debtor and then determine the most appropriate means of enforcing your judgment debt.

In this article, we will discuss the avenues that are available to assist you to ascertain the assets that are owned/held by the debtor.

What Assets are Owned by the Debtor? 

Fortunately, there are searchable public registers that contain information as to assets held/owned by individuals and companies.

Real Estate

The most well-known register is that relating to real estate ownership. Each State and Territory’s register of property ownership is publicly searchable and viewable for a small fee (otherwise known as a land title search). In recent times online search providers have begun offering national property ownership reports which show results from each of the States and Territories.

It is important to be aware that while land title searches will show who owns the property, they will not necessarily tell you whether the property is held on trust. Also, while ownership is relevant, on account of the fact that many properties are in fact subject to a mortgage, what you really want to know is how much equity the owner has in the property. In this regard, land title searches are not much help because they will only show whether the property has a mortgage over it – not the current extent/value of that encumbrance.

You should take note of whether a caveat has been lodged on title by a purchaser under a contract of sale. If this is the case and there are sufficient grounds to establish that the debtor is attempting to dissipate its assets in order to thwart the court orders, by, for example selling to a related party for a below-market value, a further court order may be sought to restrain the debtor from transferring the property (otherwise known as a “freezing order”).

Personal Property (otherwise known as “Chattels”)

Since the introduction of the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) in 2012, security interests held over chattels (such as cars, boats, caravans, trailers, artwork, crops, inventory, livestock, plant and machinery) in Australia are publicly viewable for a small search fee.

To be clear, the PPSR does not show or prove ownership of chattels – it is there to show the existence (or otherwise) of security interests over personal property, so as to inform prospective purchasers and financiers.

However, if a person/company has granted a security interest to another party then it is an indication of ownership of that chattel and may be of assistance to you.

Key Takeaways

If you would like legal assistance to determine the assets owned by a judgment debtor and in enforcing your money judgment, please contact our specialised disputes lawyers.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards