Reading time: 3 minutes

Are you owed money from goods or services that you provided in Tasmania? If so, you can enforce payment and recover the money. For amounts less than $5,000, the debt recovery process is relatively straightforward. This article will outline what steps you will need to follow.

Step 1: Send a Letter of Demand

You should first send the debtor, the person owing you money, first and second reminder letters. This may assist you in preserving your business relationship. If, however, you still cannot recover the money owed, you will more than likely send a Letter of Demand to the debtor outlining details of the debt including on what basis the money is owed and the amount outstanding;

  • A date by which the debtor must pay; and
  • A warning that if the debtor does not pay the money within the specified time, you will commence legal proceedings to recover the debt. 

Upon receiving the Letter of Demand, the Defendant may either:  

  • Pay the money and settle the matter, 
  • Dispute the matter, or
  • Ignore the letter.

Step 2: File a Minor Claim Form

If the matter is still unsettled after you have sent a Letter of Demand, you can commence legal proceedings to recover the money. You will need to fill in a minor claim form, and lodge it at the closest Registry along with three copies of the claim and the original.

Step 3: Serve the Defendant

You will then ‘serve’ the Defendant by providing them with a copy of the claim by:

  • Personally delivering the claim to the Defendant,
  • Arranging for a process server to deliver the claim, or
  • The Court can arrange for service on your behalf.

Step 4: Wait for the Defendant’s Response

Within 21 days following service, the Defendant will need to consider how to respond by either paying the amount and settling the matter or filing a defence.

If the Defendant files a defence, you will receive a copy and the Court will set a date for a directions hearing. However, if the Defendant fails to respond to the claim, you can apply for a default judgment in your favour.

Step 5: Settling the Matter Before the Hearing

If you settle the matter before the hearing, you must notify the Registrar in writing that you wish to withdraw your claim. You could also apply to the Court to make a Consent Order to enforce the terms of your settlement. 

Step 6: Attend the Directions Hearing

The directions hearing takes place before a final hearing. At the directions hearing, the Magistrate will ask both parties questions about the situation and try to facilitate a settlement. If no settlement is reached, then the Magistrate will set a date for a hearing or mediation.

Step 7: Attend the Hearing

The Magistrate will then give both parties an opportunity to present their case and supporting evidence. Once you and the debtor (defendant) present your arguments, the Magistrate will decide the case. 


LegalVision has a team of great litigation and dispute resolution lawyers who can assist you. Should you have any questions about debt recovery or how you can enforce a payment in Tasmania, please get in touch with us 1300 544 755. 


COVID-19 Vaccines In The Workplace

Thursday 10 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Can you compel employees to have a COVID-19 vaccine? Understand your rights and responsibilities as an employer. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Preventing Wage Underpayment In Your Franchise

Wednesday 16 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to identify and prevent wage underpayment in your franchise. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

How to Prevent and Manage Commercial Contract Disputes

Thursday 24 February | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to prevent and manage common commercial contract disputes. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Get a Free Fixed-Fee Quote

If you would like to receive a free fixed-fee quote or get in touch with our team, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2019 Most Innovative Firm - Australasian Lawyer