Reading time: 3 minutes

Have you had a new idea? How will you express it? The expression of your idea is tangible and can be protected. The Copyright Act 1968 protects the original expression of ideas, rather than just an idea itself.

Once an idea is expressed, it acquires copyright protection. This does not need to be registered or applied for. It is wise to use a copyright notice to help identify your ownership over a certain method of expression. A copyright notice has the copyright symbol, creator name and year of creation, e.g. © Ursula Hogben 2014 or © LegalVision ILP Pty Ltd 2014

Copyright can apply to a range of works including:

  • Artwork
  • Music
  • Films
  • Books
  • Sound recordings and media broadcasts
  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Databases
  • Computer programs

What are the copyrights?

The rights that copyright owners have in relation to their creations depend on whether the creations are categorised as works or materials.

The owner of a copyright in a work has the exclusive right to do any of the following things under Part III of the Act:

  • Reproduce the work in a material form;
  • Publish the work;
  • Perform the work in public;
  • Communicate the work to the public;
  • Make an adaptation of the work; Or
  • Enter into a commercial rental agreement in relation to the work.

Under Part IV of the Act, an owner has the following rights in relation to copyrighted materials:

  • The right to make a copy;
  • The right to have the material be seen or heard in public; Or
  • The right to communicate it to the public.

However it is important to note that copyright does not protect you against the creation of similar work within any industry. This can cause complication in terms of determining whether copyright has been infringed or not.


Licensing is a popular arrangement used by copyright owners to license the right to deal in a particular copyright. This may involve rights to reproduce or transmit the copyright to the public. When licensing, it is important to know which rights are being licensed and the conditions of that license.

Licensing may also be voluntary or statutory. Voluntary licensing relates to contractual agreements entered into by parties which are not compelled by the law. This may be through an express or implied license. Statutory licensing schemes acknowledge that certain copyrights need to be available to the public. An example of this would be the license given to schools to make copies of various works for educational purposes under a royalty scheme.


It is wise to get legal advice from an intellectual property lawyer to make sure that you adequately protect your original works.


Redundancies and Restructuring: Understanding Your Employer Obligations

Thursday 7 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

If you plan on making a role redundant, it is crucial that you understand your employer obligations. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Sponsor Foreign Workers For Your Tech Business

Wednesday 13 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Need web3 talent for your tech business? Consider sponsoring workers from overseas. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Advertising 101: Social Media, Influencers and the Law

Thursday 21 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how to promote your business on social media without breaking the law. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Structuring for Certainty in Uncertain Times

Tuesday 26 July | 12:00 - 12:45pm

Learn how to structure to weather storm and ensure you can take advantage of the “green shoots” opportunities arising on the other side of a recession.
Register Now

Playing for the Prize: How to Run Trade Promotions

Thursday 28 July | 11:00 - 11:45am

Running a promotion with a prize? Your business has specific trade promotion obligations. Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

Web3 Essentials: Understanding SAFT Agreements

Tuesday 2 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how SAFT Agreements can help your Web3 business when raising capital. Register today for our free webinar.
Register Now

Understanding Your Annual Franchise Update Obligations

Wednesday 3 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

Franchisors must meet annual reporting obligations each October. Understand your legal requirements by registering for our free webinar today.
Register Now

Legal Essentials for Product Manufacturers

Thursday 11 August | 11:00 - 11:45am

As a product manufacturer, do you know your legal obligations if there is a product recall? Join our free webinar to learn more.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards