Reading time: 3 minutes

You own the copyright in the material that you create. It includes your written work, such as website copy, plays and poems. It also includes images and videos, such as drawings, photos, and films.

Unfortunately, online written content is easier to copy and reuse than hard copy brochures. Images online are more vulnerable to a breach of copyright and more easily reproduced than hard copy images, such as a photo you have taken that is hanging on your wall in your office.

What can you do if you think that someone has breached your copyright?

If you are a creative, and you believe someone is infringing your copyright, you can send a cease and desist letter, and/or a letter of demand.

You need to be able to back up your claim to owning the copyright as well the claim that it is being infringed. For example, prove that you took the photo by taking a screen shot of their website using the image.

What is a cease and desist letter and letter of demand?

 A cease and desist letter informs the alleged infringer that:

  • you own the copyright in the creative work that they are using,
  • that they have infringed your exclusive right to use the image,
  • that they must stop infringing by a given date. Be specific, for example, you must remove the images from your website, destroy any hard copies of the image, and stop selling the images in any form.

You can add a demand, for example, that they pay you all profits that they have made from selling your work.

You should let them know the next step that you will undertake if they do not comply.

When do I send it?

It is important to send the cease and desist letter and/or a letter of demand as soon as you area aware of the potential infringement. You want them to stop the infringing behaviour as quickly as possible.


If the matter is not resolved after the cease and desist letter and/or a letter of demand, then you may need to take further legal action.

You can use the cease and desist letter and/or a letter of demand in court to show that you took steps to inform the other person of the infringement and gave them the opportunity to rectify the situation.

If you do not receive a response or the person does not agree to remedy the situation, you may consider taking legal action. Please contact an experienced intellectual property lawyer to help you understand your rights and the strength of your case.


Day in Court: What Happens When Your Business Goes to Court

Thursday 2 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

If your business is going to court, then you need to understand the process. Our free webinar will explain.
Register Now

How to Manage a Construction Dispute

Thursday 9 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Protect your construction firm from disputes. To understand how, join our free webinar.
Register Now

Startup Financing: Venture Debt 101

Thursday 23 June | 11:00 - 11:45am

Learn how venture debt can help take your startup to the next level. Register for our free webinar today.
Register Now

About LegalVision: LegalVision is a commercial law firm that provides businesses with affordable and ongoing legal assistance through our industry-first membership.

By becoming a member, you'll have an experienced legal team ready to answer your questions, draft and review your contracts, and resolve your disputes. All the legal assistance your business needs, for a low monthly fee.

Learn more about our membership

Need Legal Help? Submit an Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with our team and learn more about how our membership can help your business, fill out the form below.

Our Awards

  • 2020 Innovation Award 2020 Excellence in Technology & Innovation Finalist – Australasian Law Awards
  • 2020 Employer of Choice Award 2020 Employer of Choice Winner – Australasian Lawyer
  • 2020 Financial Times Award 2021 Fastest Growing Law Firm - Financial Times APAC 500
  • 2020 AFR Fast 100 List - Australian Financial Review
  • 2021 Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards
  • 2022 Law Firm of the Year Winner 2022 Law Firm of the Year - Australasian Law Awards