Question: I uploaded a photo onto a social media platform such as Facebook, Reddit or Twitter, am I infringing someone’s copyright?Answer:
Potentially. If you do not hold the rights to copyright for this photo you may be up for infringement. Fair dealing laws in Australia permit the use of works and materials online when:
- Copyright has expired;
- You are using an insubstantial part of the copyright work;
- The work has a licence which allows for copying or free use;
- You have purchased a licence to use the image; or
- One of the fair dealing exceptions applies.
Fair dealing exceptions include:
- Research or study;
- Criticism or review;
- Parody or satire;
- Reporting news;
- Fair dealing for professional advice; and
- Educational and special use exceptions.