Question: I am a Charity. Do I Need an ABN?Answer:
If you are a not-for-profit and would like to register as a charity, you may be asking whether you need an Australian Business Number (ABN) for the application form. In short, you need an ABN to apply to register as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC).
What Do You Need for the Application?
When you apply for an ABN, you may need to provide the following information about your organisation:
- legal name of the entity (for instance, your company name if you are set-up as a company limited by guarantee with ASIC);
- details for an authorised contact;
- details of your associate’s (for not-for-profits, this can include your trustees, directors or executive committee members);
- tax file numbers for your associates;
- details of the activity for your organisation; and
- location of our organisation (usually your head office’s location).