5 things you
need to know
- Family law covers legal matters related to domestic relations and other family matters. In Australia, much of our family law is governed by the Family Law Act. Many Australians deal with a family lawyer in the event of a divorce or separation. Others might work with a family lawyer when remarrying, to help ensure that their assets are protected, and that previous children are considered.
- Divorces and separations are an unfortunate part of modern life. If you get divorced or separated it is important that you instruct an experienced family lawyer to protect your interests and manage the divorce or separation in a civil, pragmatic manner.
- Divorces and separations may become contentious over either the separation of assets or custody of children. If your divorce becomes contentious, it’s even more important to ensure you’re working with a specialist family lawyer.
- If you’re entering into a new relationship at a later stage in life, it can be a useful to enter into a binding financial agreement with your new partner. Mature couples may have amassed significant assets, and may wish to protect their assets in the event of a future separation. A family lawyer can assist you to protect your assets, and can assist with a binding financial agreement.
- Finally, make sure that you work with a lawyer who specialises in family law. Family law is a specific area of the law, and a specialist lawyer will know the legislation, the case law, and the usual practices that affect family law.